KTM clutch spring 'free' length

Started by Marc Biro, May 17, 2006, 01:57:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc Biro

KTM experts...can you tell me the 'free' length of a new clutch spring for a 1975 KTM 250 motor? The used ones in a motor I am rebuilding measure 35.57mm to 36.29mm. I am trying to figure out if this is the reason why the pressure plate pulls off the clutch discs unevenly causing the clutch to drag.

Thanks guys!

Marc Biro

Kip Kern

Check the shop manual for the bike.  There are several sizes for Pentons and things can get pretty confusing.  Bobby Lucus did a nice piece for the "Still Keeping Track" in reference to the springs and clutches.  Also depends on how the clutch was built, i.e., number of plates and type, a lot of folks changed things around in the clutches so you never know what you have until you size up the components with a shop manual/parts manual. CIAO

Steve Minor

Kip...I'd love to read that article Bobby wrote. Any way you can make it available?

Thanks
Steve
Steve Minor

Marc Biro

Kip,

Thanks for the information.

marc

Kip Kern

Al B. may have a back issue of the magazine.  I'll have to "dig" and see if I still have it.  I remember that it was an early issue though.  Will check it out this weekend.

john durrill

Marc ,
 I believe we have that issue with the clutch info in it. We would need to get the ok from the POG board first but we could scan it and post it in the library with their ok.
John D.

john durrill

Marc,
 The web master has already done that chuckle chuckle! Go to publications on the POG home page . Issue # 4, Still Keeping Track, page 10 and 11.
Thats one we should all print out and file away in our library's at home.
John D.

Marc Biro

John,

Thank you for your help!

marc biro