72 Six Day Wiring Question

Started by KJDonovan, June 03, 2006, 02:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJDonovan

Greetings,

I'm in the process of doing a little maintenance on my wifes 72 Six Day and after pulling the tank noticed that there is a black wire coming off the coil connected to nothing.  The bike is an early 72 with points (no motoplat) and coming from the coil there are 2 small wires a red and a black. I am guessing this black wire terminates at the wiring block but I am not sure.  Anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks,

KD

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

john durrill

KD,
Try this link and look in the folder marked 72-75 wireing diagrams.
Do you have the retangle with small screws that is use for connecting the wires from the mag to the rest of the bikes electric's?
Let me know what you have and with the pictures in the folder we can work out whats what on the wires.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sachs175/my_photos
John D.

Rain Man

Kevin, maybe its spose to go to the kill switch ??

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

tofriedel

John,

I cannot access your photos on the page you provided.

Tony
Tony

KJDonovan

John,

The bike does have the rectangular wiring block.  I can't seem to get to your site though. I keep getting the error:
RESULT=49 - TCookie invalid
VERSION=2.5

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

john durrill

Kevin,
 E mail me at home. I'll attach the files to a reply for you.
John D
[email protected]

john durrill

Tony,
 try the new adress , see if it works.
John D.

t20sl

I believe the red should be ground and your black (blue on most models) is the wire going to the points.  It also goes to kill button.  I also am pretty sure it doesn't make a difference on AC/points coils which wire you use for ground and which for the points at the coil.  In other words ground one and use the other for points/kill button.  Ted

john durrill

Ted,
 The wire color code from the mag to the little black connection block is  different from a Motoplat ignition. From the Block to the coil could be any color depending on who did the wiring.
John D.
:)

KJDonovan

John,

I followed the updated link and downloaded the diagrams.  Unfourtently, all were for magnetos and none for an iginition with points.

Thanks,

KD

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

t20sl

Kevin/John:  My post does cover the points ignition like Kevin has.  You can run the points wire to the block like it is supposed to then to the coil.  I simplified the connection for clarity.  Gound one small wire from coil, the other goes to the points thru the block or direct if you just want to get it running.  If the one coil wire is not ground you will NOT get spark.  Ted

john durrill

KD,
 2 of the diagrams are point ignition diagrams. These with the red-yellow, green-red wires in the bundle from the Mag are points systems. Unless some one has cut and spliced in new wires from the mag to the terminal block the colors shown are correct. the blue wire from the mag should go throught the block to the ignition coil under the tank. The color of the wire from the block to the coil under the tank could be anything.
Did that help any?
John D.