74.5 jackpiner airbox

Started by pakala, July 01, 2006, 10:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pakala

In the photos the original airbox is on the right. The other was said to be from a 75 175 with high breather frame.
  The airbox on the left looked to be in better shape,than the original and was bought on ebay for the rebuild.
  Before I send this box to be painted is it going to work? Did ktm factory use two different types of air boxes? Or is the airbox on the left from a 72-73' 76-77 Jackpiner?
      Thanks for the answer... Paul (socal)

http://tinyurl.com/mxleg

OUCWBOY

Paul,
I have ran into this before. It seem that sometime in 1974, more than likely, the 74 1/2 models seem to have a different air box, like the one on the right. I never could get the old style to fit correctly on a 74 1/2 or later frame.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

john durrill

Paul,
The 74 1/2 bikes have the lay down shock position. More travel in the rear suspension. The air box that extends over the ( on the earlier air box )  chain could run a fair chance of haveing the chain wear through it. I believe thats the reason for the difference in the 2 air boxes.
 Hope this is some help.
John D.

Dennis Jones

I have found there to be at least 3 variations of CMF airboxs. 72 and 73 low breather, 73 highbreather early 74 KTM engined bikes and 74 - 75 Sachs engined bikes, 74 1/2 KTM engine bikes. You can interchange some of them but they do not fit just right. Went through all of this latley on a friends 74 100.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

pakala

Gentleman,
  The handout of information from this group has been a watershed of help. I will proceed with usable original airbox. There will be more question to come.
                 Thanks, Paul (socal)