Leatherbound Penton

Started by Kip Kern, August 24, 2007, 09:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kip Kern

Just wanted to thank the POG and Ed Y for the beautiful V054 JP book.  I got it and read it in the same day!  Just can't put that stuff down.  Something about this wonderful Penton family!;)

Doug Wilford

Thanks Kip for mentioning the great work Ed put into the JP book.

checkcrew

I also want to thank all involved in putting this fine treasure together {V020} will be passed down to my son to keep in our family for our life time, best regards, Mike and Mike Jr.

Mike Gallagher, Camden County, NJ. - 70 + 71, 125 Steel Tankers, 72 x 2, 73 x 2, 125-6 Day's, 73 Jackpiner, 74 1/2 Mint 400
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

Paul Danik

Our webmaster was kind enough to add the picture of John signing the leather bound books to Kip's post, it was taken by Ed Youngblood. Ed picked up the special order books from the printer in Michigan and drove straight to John's home, and the two of them signed all of the books at John's kitchen table.  

Neat shot Ed, thanks.

THANK YOU also to John Penton, for all that you have done, and continue to do, for the Group and motorcyling in general for so many years.  I wonder how many items JP has signed in the last 10 years since the start of the POG, and he is always so gracious about it no matter how busy he may be.

Paul

GaryDowling

Just got home from a business trip and found V070 waiting on my desk. What a well produced book. Great touch to have John and Ed's autographs.  Thanks to all involved on the effort. Well done!

How many copies were produced?

Gary

Gary Dowling
1973 Penton Six Day
Gary Dowling
1973 Penton Six Day

pketchum

I just noticed mine (V046) was signed by John Penton on 8/10/07 which was my 50th birthday.  Coincidence, I think not?

JP knows all!

Phil
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

83husky250

Is the book Jp is signing the John Penton and the off road revolution book or something new?  If it is, is it a second edition with more pictures, color, etc?  How do you get one?

sixdazed

Totally forgot about this book:(-Are the leather bounds all sold out,and if so are paperbacks coming out?
                                         Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

Paul Danik

Here is a quick rundown of the republishing of the John Penton book.

After several printings of the original paperback version, Whitehorse Press decided to not reprint the book. Author Ed Youngblood retrieved the publication rights for the book, Ed approached the POG with the idea to collaborate on republishing it. The POG wholeheartedly joined with Ed on the project.

With the 40th anniversary of the Penton upon us, it was decided to create a new version of the book, the hardcover "40th Anniversary Commemorative Edition" has been published, ordering information for this edition will be posted here shortly.

A special leather bound edition was also published, for sale to POG members on a presale basis only, those are the books pictured above, and 125 were published. The leather bound books are all numbered in the same manor used on the Steel Tank Pentons, hence the reference to the V054 by Kip and the other V numbers by Mike, Gary and Phil.  Penton V001, the first serial production Penton went to John Penton, book V001 has now gone to John Penton.

Paul

thrownchain

Hey Phil K., Happy Birthday, [ belated ], same day and age as mine!

At the POG meeting at M/O there was brought up the idea that although the minimum number of books weren't ordered, the minimum number were published. What is to be done with the extras? I suggest that a few go to museums for posterity. The AMA and Barber for starters.The Mungenast museum also.  Any thoughts??

Paul Danik

The POG board is working on that issue, thanks for the great  suggestions.

Paul

Paul Danik

Our webmaster has just added a picture of the cover, of the newly published 40th Anniversary Commemorative Edition JP book to one of the above posts for all to see.

Paul