Undate dale

Started by tomale, August 02, 2006, 12:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomale

Yesterday my friend Tom Mc.a fellow vintage races and I drove to Spokane to see Dale. I was surprised to see him looking so good. He had good color and seemed to be comfortable, not much pain! While we were there a Therapy Assistant came it to work with Dale. They were moving Dale's legs back and forth and it was then that we realized that Dale had some use of his legs, but he has no feeling from his knees down. He said that if some one touches his toe it feels like his foot is asleep and it tingles.... He said that he broke T 12 they had to do a bone graft and he has staples holding the whole area together. A quick look at my Anatomy book shows me that T 12 is in the area where the ribs join the spine. In addition to this, he cracked the socket were the Femur fits into the Hip. It is not the femur that is broken but the hip itself. This is what is slowing down Therapy. They can not do much until that is healed. It will be a few more weeks before that will happen.  He has a wheel chair and a back brace to get him around to therapy and such. I do not think that he can get around on his own just yet. They are getting him ready to return home but know one seems to know when that will be.... He has a long road ahead, but he is looking forward to riding again. What a trooper! He said he really appreciated all the cards and letters and when he can he is going to respond to them all.... He really liked the Hammer and Tongs poster with all of the signatures and said he is going to have if framed. The 550 dollars that we had collected brought a smile to his face and said that would be handy to help pay for gas so that he can get back and forth to therapy and doctors visits and such. Thanks to all for caring... it really does make a difference!

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Big Mac

Thom,
Thanks for the update and for you and Tom M making the run out to check on Dale. Hope if something like that ever happened to me, there'd be similar support and encouragement. I know people rallied around Tom M when he was in a bad way a couple years back.

Good job, I know Dale must really appreciate it.

Jon
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

tomale

It was a good trip but long... it reminded me of our trip to Tulsa. I hear ya, I am pretty sure that if that happened to you or me, we would get the same kind of treatment....
When we left there we left him with a bunch of Vintage Magazines ie Vintage views and a stack of Bench racer too plus Tom left him his autograph copy of Monkey butt....A must read, I hear...

76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W