Shock length?

Started by Rocket, August 03, 2006, 08:35:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket

I know the standard length of shock on the 78 MC5 250 is 13-3/4", has anybody run a little longer shock to make them turn better in the woods and if so, what length did you go with?  I'm thinking about going with 14-1/4" Works Performance, what do you guys think?
thanks
Rocket

tlanders

I hate people that answer a question with another one but does the 1976/77 MC5 also use 13.75" shocks? I thought they were supposed to be 13.5"??? I believe I put 13.625" ones on my 1978 MC5. I have used the 14.25" Progressive Suspension shocks on a lot of my pre 1975 Pentons and have been slowly converting them to Works or Ohlins as money permits.

Teddy

Dave Withrow

Rocket,
    I ran 14 inch WORKS shocks on a '77 400MC5 and it really helped the handling.  I believe Teddy is right about the 13.50 Marsoooks. They were mounted on mine when I first got it.  Hope this helped.
GO PENTON!
Dave Withrow

tomale

I had put a set of 14.5's on my 76 and did not like it, Part of the reason was because the company that I had got the shocks from seemed to be unwilling or unable to get the sag right for me,The sag was too much and I felt like I was riding a chopper and my steering problem had actually gotten worse. I tossed the shocks in a box and went back to the stock length shocks. I decided to go about the problem a different way... I had already moved the stancion tubes as far up as I could in the triple clamps and that helped alot but I fiqured I still needed more. I reduced the amount of preload in the forks and added more oil. This did several things, It allowed the front end to drop in the corners which made my cornering better, reduced the harness over little bumps that are always there coming out of a corner and it still kept me from bottoming out over the big stuff. Part of the reason I did this was because, I was afraid that if I change the rake too much it would be twitchy and unstable at speed... But maybe I should not be telling you this, if I ever get to race you again...

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

slvrbrdfxr

Hi All,
While we are the subject of suspension length, does anyone know what the stock length of the Marzocchi forks and shocks were on a 77 250 GS6 ?? I have two 250 GS6 bikes and the fork and shock lengths are different between the two bikes and I'd like to determine which is correct. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks !!
Dave McCullough

Chakka

This Shock length and handling characteristics question has me thinking. I noticed on the bike I have with leading axle Marzocchi's the turning radius is horrible. I improved it by reducing the thickness of the rubber fork stops on the belt sander, it's still not great. The other night I was surfing the Italian KTM site and saw pictures of the Italian ISDT bikes for 76 & 77 had straight leg Ceriani's, no leading axle forks. Im sure they sacrificed some front end travel but could it handle and corner better? Anybody try this set up on an MC-5 or GS-6 frame?

Chris

jj

Dave,

I just measured my 77 250 GS6 and came up with 13.5" on the rear Marzocchi shocks and 32.90" on the grey Marzocchi forks measured from the axle center to the top of the fork nut.

John J Slivka
John J Slivka

slvrbrdfxr

John,
Thanks for the info about the fork and shock length. After making the post I figured out why the fork lengths were different between my two bikes. Found that one of the fork legs is jammed and not extending all the way making that bike measure about 1" shorter. One of my bikes has 14.5" Marzocchi piggybacks on the rear and the other bike has 13.5 Fox Airshox. In reply to Chris, I'm considering installing some Ceriani forks on my GS6. I've got a pair of leading axle Ceriani forks that are about 1" shorter than the stock Marzocchis. Would be giving up a little travel but would hope it would make the bike steer better in the woods. Would use the 13.5" Fox Airshox with the Ceriani forks. Had a conversation at VMD with Rocket about doing this and will probably try it to see how it does. Can always put the stock forks back on it I don't like it. Anyone have an opinion as to how this would work for me ?? Thanks !!
Dave McCullough

skiracer

Rocket,

Instead of changing the rear shocks for better turning in the woods, why don't you just pull the forks up the triple clamps a half an inch, and gain the same results that you are looking for.  I use to adjust my forks, depending on the track, on my 76 250MC when I raced motocross.  Try it, you might like it!  James
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa