Front number plate brackets

Started by tlanders, August 10, 2006, 10:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlanders

I have seen aluminum front number plate mounting brackets that clamp on the fork tubes and stand the plate off about 1.5" to 2" in front of the fork tubes. This gives the brake/throttle/clutch cables some room behind the number plate. Does anyone know where to buy these brackets? The ones I have been getting only stand the plate off about 0.5".

Teddy

AndyL

Teddy,
I usually see those number plate brackets on "that auction site" but I have found another very similar way to mount the plates, thanks to some other "very cheap" friends.

Use the rigid pipe hanger brackets from the hardware store. The sizes range from 1" to 1-1/2" pipe sizes, and are a two piece design with an offset threaded hole to allow for a solid connection to threaded rod or long bolts.  

These can be used, with appropriate length bolts to hold number plates, which will allow for the space for cables.  They can also be used as fork stops by swithing out the bolt to threaded rod and a rubber cap.

Check this part number 3023T24, called a "split ring hanger" on page 1378 at //www.mcmaster.com

Andy
#14u MOVMX and AHRMA
75 Jackpiner
70 Steeltanker
92 KTM 300
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA

Dennis Jones

Andy that looks like a good idea.

Teddy a guy sells alloy ones that are similar to the plastic preston petty ones on ebay. His user name is billet4u2. They sell for $30 and are very trick, I have some. You can see them under # 140012775223 but is is a listing that has ended and ebay will no longer let you contact a seller after an auction has ended. They usually show up every couple weeks.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

tofriedel

Teddy,

You can get a message to billet4u2 by going to the item Dennis provided, click on billet4u2 which will take you to his feedback page.  From there you can send him a message.

Tony
Tony

tlanders

Thanks guys, that is the number plate bracket I was looking for, I have emailed him and hopefully he still has some. You guys are great. Thanks again,

Teddy

rob w

Teddy,
Preston Petty Enduro headlight/#plate mounts = 1 3/8" stand-off between the tubes and the plate.
 I just tested this set-up for the first time at Mid-Ohio, definetly allows unrestricted cable movement - don't know how strong it would be in a crash. Anyway, it worked well and was a cheap try-out.

Look see -
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g8/BobWardlow/Dscf0213.jpg

Dennis Jones

Tony, Thanks for the info, that's good to know.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

tlanders

Bob, it looks good but where can you get them??? I have the aluminum ones on the way. Are you going to Portland for the races???

Teddy

tofriedel

Teddy,

I might be mistaken, but I think Al B had some of the PP mounts at the York Swapmeet this year.  They may be long gone and then again he still may have them.

Tony
Tony