Untitled

Started by rob w, December 30, 2006, 11:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

Hi POG,
 I can't say I have alot to say, but I do have the erge to ramble.
The passing of President Ford this week dredged up some very early memories I have related to motorcycling.
 Before now, my motorcycle story has always began on the day I rode that first bike, by myself, for the first time. No doubt a memorable day which has always stood out in my mind. But actually there were previous events that led up to that moment, which really began spurring my first interests in motorcycles. They were the first times I was given a ride as a passenger, on the back of one.
 My father's close friend and business partner in their Tool & Die business was Bob Bloomer. Several times he came over to our house with his Honda Trail 90, I jumped on the back and held on tight, and he'd take me down some two-tracks near the house. Even though I was the passenger and not the pilot, that was my introduction to bikes.
 Bob Bloomer's sister was Betty (Bloomer) Ford, wife of Gerald Ford.
Bob past away of cancer around '68 or so, just about the same time he and my father were starting another company, and around the same time we got our first Honda. I was only a kid, but kids listen to adults more than adults know they do, so I understood someone in Bob's family was a big politian guy named Ford. (a congressman at the time)
 It was a shame, and we always said it sure would have been awesome, if Bob lived long enough to see that his sister's husband turned out to become the President of the United States.
I myself, have never even seen the man. But I know my father met Gerald Ford at least once back in the old days.
 I'm going to try to see him on Wednesday though, he'll be laid to rest about 5 1/2 miles straight down the road from my house.

That's it,
Happy New Year to all !!
Bob Wardlow
Grand Rapids, MI.

tomale

Thanks Bob for sharing, it is good to remember, I am not so sure that I would have sot out motocycles if is was left up to me, But being of impressionable age at the time, and a friends step father raced Triumphs when it was still cool to do so... and seeing the San Jose mile and half mile was enough for me to start dreaming and then when the same guy gets all of his step sons dirt bikes... well that was it and after getting to ride one for my self... My brother and I just had to have one...

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

firstturn

Rob,
  Thanks for remembering President Ford.  He took this Country through a tough time.  He will always have my respect.  The flag in front of our Home is at honoring him today.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tomale

Thanks Bob for sharing, it is good to remember, I am not so sure that I would have sot out motocycles if is was left up to me, But being of impressionable age at the time, and a friends step father raced Triumphs when it was still cool to do so... and seeing the San Jose mile and half mile was enough for me to start dreaming and then when the same guy gets all of his step sons dirt bikes... well that was it and after getting to ride one for my self... My brother and I just had to have one...

76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

firstturn

Rob,
  Thanks for remembering President Ford.  He took this Country through a tough time.  He will always have my respect.  The flag in front of our Home is at honoring him today.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh