Dreams do come true.

Started by rpage11, August 23, 2006, 05:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rpage11

I'm very grateful that it took 38 years to happen because I have had the pleasure of meeting and talking with some of the best people in my life the last 2 years.  Thanks to each and every POG member for all the invaluable information you have shared with me.  I would also like to thank a few individual people that I have met along the way.  First and foremost is Lawrence Shellaby at VMX Restorations for all the hard work and pride you put into refurbishing this bike.  Without you, I don't know if this would have happened, and I'm sure it wouldn't have been nearly as much fun.  Also, being so involved along the way really made this a great experience.  Ron Carbaugh, thanks again for sharing all your knowledge, answering so many questions and personally delivering my bike to my front door.  Ric Emal, thanks for letting me look over your collection of Pentons to see how they go together and also giving me the spare parts I know you'll probably some day need.  Doug Wilford, what can I say, your motor building skills are beyond belief.  Ron put some weight on the kick starter to see what the compression was like and the motor fired up.   Al B.  Jake, and Terry thank you for helping with all the parts and even when you didn't have something, you usually pointed me in the direction I needed to find it.  Kevin at Circle F, I kept telling Lawrence you'd be able to make this pipe, thank you it's sweet.   I'm sure I missed a number of people and I would like to apologize and once again thank everyone for your help.

Before

After

And look what I found along the way.

How does that song go,  "Time to start all over again"  

Thanks again, Skip

Oh yea I almost forgot.  I'd like to thank Mr. Penton for giving us such a great gift.   And also apologize to you for all the fingerprints left on the show room windows Sunday afternoons back in the late 60's at the Honda/BMW dealership on Cooper Foster.  I just want you to know, I wasn't the only kid there dreaming about those red and green bikes.
Skip Page
Tucson, AZ
www.robertpagearchitect.com

thrownchain

Nice job, I hope mine tyrn out as nice.[^]

cubfan1968

Looks like its ready for Baja. Great job.

Rod Whitman
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

wade195

Very nice bike. Great work.

Doug Wade

au_tejas

Thanks Skip, it was pleasure doing this project.  I know you had a blast tracking parts that were needed and I know I must have called Al 200+ times asking for parts as well.  I have Ron's number memorized so you know how many times him and I have talked.  Great guys all of them.  You were right on the money with regards to Mr. Doug Wilfords work and Kevin at Circle-F.  I hear he is taking on a lot of work these days with this new pipe out.  Need to get a few CZ's out then it is on to your next '71 Penton...  Should be as fun as the first..  

Take care all,
Lawrence (//www.vmxrestorations.com)

DKWRACER

Lawrence, one of the most cherished statements "it's mine". That feeling, and the countless hrs. are a reflection of your dedication to fullfill a dream. Bike looks great, and I am sure how "Proud" you must feel!
Thanks for "sharing" ;)
Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

Doug Wilford

Lawrence;
Very very nice.   I know the next one will be easier and better, somehow?   Havin Fun!
Doug

au_tejas

Thanks Tom and Doug.  It took a lot of guys and parts to get this bike to where it is now.  I just wanted to make sure that Skip got a bike he would be proud of and I certainly had the right guys helping me.  Take care.  LS

Dennis Jones

Very nice bike, I know how proud you must feel. I can't wait to finish mine.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

tlanders

Beautiful job!!! I am envious. I wish I could find the time to get my steel tanker going again. Every time I look at it I end up saying "gotta concentrate on the bikes I'll be racing this weekend". Maybe next winter and then I'll have to decide to take John Penton's advice or not. He told me NOT to clean off the orange paint marks that were placed on it by the referees at the 1971 Berkshire Two Day International Qualifier. How do you clean up the bike and leave them??

Teddy

sixdazed

Skip, now i'm jealous-looks great.guess i have no excuse now to finish mine.or at least start on mine....You are welcome to raid my parts stash anytime brother.Cheers, Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

au_tejas

I forgot to mention the master of tank restorations, Mr. Ed James...  Great job Ed! There will be another one coming your way soon.  LS