Needed: special tool for bearing install

Started by sachsmx, September 06, 2006, 12:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sachsmx

Hi all,

Does anyone have the special tool required to install the outer main bearing (Left side)on the KTM 420 that they would care to lend or rent out? I don't believe I can find another SAFE way to install this bearing. This is the bearing that is outboard of the PTO side crank seal. Anyone have any ideas other than using the special tool?

wildman

I have heard that you may use your crank nut and a stack of washers to progressively crank the bearing into place. Haven't actually tried it myself but read it in a previous post. Good luck, Wildman

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125
1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125

Big Mac

Assuming the 420 is the same setup as the 250 and 400 earlier motors, the crank nut for the pinion gear, carefully tightened and re-tightened with more and more washers, is the standard approach from all I know. Kip Kern is an expert at this maneuver, so may check with him for tips.

If this is part of a crank re-installation procedure, I had one savvy euro-cycle machinist with a press assist me once---pressed in the outer bearing first, turned the left side case on it's side and dropped the crank in as far as it would go, then installed shims between the crank webs in 3 places to keep it all in place and aligned, then pressed the entire crank assembly into that outer bearing. Worked fine.
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR