1977 Penton 400 MC5 info

Started by MI_400MC5, October 11, 2006, 11:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MI_400MC5

I have a 1977 Penton 400 MC5 that has been in my family for many years.  The bike still runs great.  
I was wondering how rare this bike is.    
I'm also wondering what these bikes are worth in different conditions.
Also if you know of any other sites that might be of helpfull let me know.
Thanks

Big Mac

Broad question, but here's a stab, since I have one: The 400 in '77 is rarer than the 250 in '77, but not rare enough to be worth much extra, and quite a few around. Most are still racers, not museum pieces. It's popular for the AHRMA Historic MX/CC class but not that competitive (unless made up for with A+ rider) against open-class bikes of a couple years later, which tend to lead the Evo classes.

Value? Not worth enough to give it up if it's been in the family a long time and in good, original condition. If original, not beat and un-molested, and a buyer doesn't have to pay to ship it, maybe $1500-$1800, maybe a bit more if a collector is anxious. If it doesn't run currently, shows it's age, has surface rust, etc., anywhere from $400-$1000. Just some guesses.

For info on late '70s Penton/KTMs, this site is pretty well the center of the universe.

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

thrownchain

Location is also a factor, people will buy something thats close to home, but may not if it's too far away.

jon

Do you have pictures and would you like to sell it, and your location.Thanks