Sachs Cylinder Etiquette

Started by AndyL, September 15, 2006, 11:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyL

I have a question about what to do with a couple of Sachs cylinders.  I guess it is more of a cut or not to cut question and I need some other opinions to consider.

I have several cylinders from 6B motors, one from a Monark GS motor and a couple of D cylinders from DKW's.

The pipe I have is a Penton Steel Tank pipe, that requires the bottom three fins of the cylinder be shortened so the pipe hugs the cylinder.

Most of these cylinders already have broken or chipped fins in places so they are not super nice.

I plan to have one motor in the bike (70 Penton Steel Tanker) and a complete spare (with ignition and carb) set up to swap in (possibly with a 100cc cylinder) to run in a different class or for Hare Scramble work.

Should I just go ahead and trim a couple of the cylinders that I plan to use on the bike so they fit the pipe?  Or is that not the smart thing to do?

Andy
#14u MOVMX and AHRMA
75 Jackpiner
70 Steeltanker
92 KTM 300
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA

thrownchain

How bad and where are the cylinder fins broke?? It sounds like you need a couple of DKW cyl's, which are cut on the bottm right. How are the cyl bores??
It's entirely up to you what you do, but explore your options before cutting.

AndyL

Dan,
The one Monark cylinder that I am thinking of cutting has broken fins on the front left and back left.  I will try and add a picture here.

If the pic doesnt show, it is in this folder: http://target.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/aj67ss00/album?.dir=73a4re2

The reason I want to use this one is the porting and it is only 020 over.

The other cylinder I am looking at cutting isnt in much better shape and is 060 over.

Although I am pretty sure what I should do, I appreciate the comments and wanted to think it through again before I cut anything up.

Andy
#14u MOVMX and AHRMA
75 Jackpiner
70 Steeltanker
92 KTM 300
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA

thrownchain

Are you going to be able to make it look decent?? Looks pretty hammered to me.  Did I talk to you once about trading DKW covers for Sachs covers??

G Ellis

AndyL  if you are interested in letting go of some of your motor parts. Email me at [email protected] I have some 100 and 125 cylinders. Later Gary

AndyL

All,
Thanks for the info/ideas.  

I guess if there are a decent number of cylinders out there for Sachs motors (and like Dan noticed this one has been hammered on pretty bad) I am going to go ahead and cut two cylinders and keep one or two for use with a down pipe.

I think I just came across a couple of Six Day pipes, one with silencer, one without, both with the brackets and will try to make a deal for them.

Now I just have to dive into these motors and figure them out.

Andy
#14u MOVMX and AHRMA
75 Jackpiner
70 Steeltanker
92 KTM 300
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA