Sandia Classic

Started by brokenb23, September 24, 2006, 11:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokenb23

I want to congratulate Teddy Landers. Three days of racing at the annual Sandia Classic Nationals. Teddy and his KTM's posted wins all three days. Way to go Teddy. It was my pleasure watching you ride.
Bob Brizzee

tlanders

Bob,

You are the man!!! I couldn't have done as well as I did without your help. I was in Albuquerque on a job that was supposed to be finished on Thursday so I could spend the weekend racing. However, there was a big storm on Wednesday night which did a lot of damage to our equipment at the job site and stopped UPS from delivering parts on time. Therefore, after the races every day, I had to high tail it to the job and work 'til 8:00PM Friday night and 10:00PM Saturday night to get my customer back up and running. I had a PVL that was acting up on the Mint 400. At higher rpms the engine would completely cut out then roar back to life. I was working feverishly Sunday morning before and after the worship service to find out what was going on. After checking all the wires for breaks/grounding, making sure the grounding was good, disconnecting the kill switch, etc. to no avail, I finally made the big decision to change out the whole PVL from the MC80 that ran so marvelously on Saturday. Bob could see that I needed help and he basically took over the change out. It was not an easy job because I had used red locktite and too much of it on the 4 bolts that hold on the weight on the PVL. Rico loaned me his PVL puller and Robert Poole loaned me his electric impact tool. So it took hours to laboriously take out those bolts (8 total) with vise grips because we were only able to turn them about 1/20th of a revolution each grip. We finally got it finished and low and behold, it did the SAME THING!!!! It cut out at speed under load. I was confused and gave up on it.

In the mean time, my race came up. Stan Beni wonderfully loaned me his 250 Husky. I came in 4th out of 9. The first two guys should have been in a different class (the standard line after being beat!!!). Curt Kennelly was the man I was really racing against and he beat me in 3rd place. When I got back to the pits, Bob had a big smile on his face, he had figured out the problem. The small slip on connector on the PVL coil was loose. You couldn't tell it was loose because of the thick insulator that goes over it. He simply squeezed the connector with some vice grips and wire tied it on so it wouldn't slip off and the Mint 400 was back in business. I beat Curt in the second race that day.

THANK YOU BOB- YOU WERE GREAT. You stuck to it when it looked hopeless. I called Dane to tell him what happened and he said other people have had the same trouble with the small connector. If you are using a PVL, beware of this problem and take steps to help the small connector stay connected.

BOB WAS AWESOME!!! A true help in time of need.

Teddy

sixdazed

Teddy,I live in Tucson near Bob.He's been a true friend,always ready to helpout with anything,or give you words of encouragement,etc.Really a nice guy.
                                    Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

firstturn

Teddy,
  I call that a Big Cowboy Smile.  Bob is a great Friend and someone always ready to help and really does some nice work on bikes.

Ron Carbaugh
Kerrville, Texas
Ron Carbaugh