250 Penton Gearbox Service

Started by Randy Lamp, October 04, 2006, 10:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy Lamp

Good morning. I would like to service the gearbox on my recently aquired 250 Penton ,before riding it this weekend. Since I don't know when it was last done ,I would feel better about it knowing the oil was fresh and topped off. My service manual has not yet arrived , so I was wondering which plug do you use to drian the oil out of the box and which one on top do you use to re- fill it? I'm aware of the kick start bolt issue , but I think there is a plug at the back of the box and a second one on the right side.

I am also torn between using Mobil 1 ATF and good old Bel - Ray gear oil. A very knowlegeabl POG memebr recommends one quart of the ATF but I thought I rememeberd reading that on the Jackpiner at least, you can put more oil in with out blowing any seals out because the box is vented. Is more better and has anyone experianced clutch slippage with the Synthetic ATF? I have no idea of the condition of the clutch plates or springs.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Randy Lamp
Massillon,Ohio

Rocket

Randy
The drain plug is on the right side of the engine.  You can use any of the (3) plugs on the top of the cases for filling, I use the one closest to the kicker.  I use (1) quart of ATF or M/C gearoil.  I believe either one works fine.
Rocket

Randy Lamp

Thanks Rocket. I hope to find the time tonight to get it done. I think I will stay with the regualr oil for now since I already have a couple quarts that I purchased for my Jackpiner.

Randy

Big Mac

There are many opinions on this, but I've switched to Mobil synthetic ATF for both old bikes and my late 90s 2-stroke KTM. Slippage has not been any problem---the opposite is generally the battle...clutch drag when disengaged, which causes heat and wear. The ATF seems to help alleviate the dragging some, as does setting the pressure plate nice and flat using a dial indicator.

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR