Intro of a Penton Newbie

Started by Mike Stephenson, September 26, 2006, 09:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Stephenson

Thanks to one of the greatest persons you could ever meet - Ted DelSolar, I have now officially joined the ranks as a Penton Newbie!   (Ted - if you read this - thanks again my friend!)

I am a total newbie to Pentons other than I have been wanting one for several years now.  Most of my vintage/evo bike experience, if you can call it that, has been with Suzuki motocrossers - mostly RM's 76 to 79, plus a smattering of other old scoots that have graced my garage over the last few years.  I do quite a bit of off road riding on my 05 KTM, but want to start doing some vintage rides on occasion.

The Penton that now graces my garage, is as best I can tell, a 76 (77 appears on the title though) Cross Country 250 (the predecessor to Ted's Davie actually).  My plans at this point is for this to be a "rider" bike, not a garage queen.  So, mechanical stuff will be the first stuff for me to address.  The engine on this bike is rather sound - a 1st kick starter actually, which makes sense in light of the recent rebuild.  About the only stuff I think I need to work on to feel comfortable with it as a "rider" really is control set up odds and ends, brakes, clutch actuation (does not fully disengage, though Ted tells me this is typical), and rear shocks.  With those things addressed, I will be ready to do some riding with Ted and Davie!

I look forward to the POG members collective wisdom!  I am sure I will have many pesky questions (all of which I am sure Ted will hear from me along the way as well!).  Oh, I will be getting that POG membership registration out in the mail!

Thanks

Mike Stephenson
Atlanta, Michigan

Penton Newbie - thanks to Young Ted!
Mike Stephenson
Atlanta, Michigan

Paul Danik

Mike,

Welcome to the Group, I do have to say that if you plan on riding with Ted you had better cut some off the ends of your handlebars. A couple of years back Ted took us for a "little Michigan trailride" through some pines that were really thick, if it wasn't for the new snow that showed us which way Ted went we might still be clicking our bars off those pines.

All kidding aside, Ted and Connie are the greatest and you are lucky to have hooked up with Ted.

Paul

OUCWBOY

KTM Mike,
WELCOME to the group. You will not find a greater bunch of guys and gals anywhere. You will find much information on this site and if you don't find it here, just ask. There are many experts on Penton and KTM here. Good luck with your NEW Penton and if you ever need anything, just ask.

Donny Smith
Lakeside, CA, soon to be Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

thrownchain

Also welcome from the NE, good group of guys here, friendly and knowledgable. Have fun and don't get hurt.  

Dan
Scipio Ctr, NY

72, 73, 74 Six Days projects.

conrad2

Mike, I am rather new to the Penton group also ( Year or so).
You could not ask for a better and more qualified bunch of enthusiasts anywhere on any hobby. My first contact was with Paul Danik (ISDT multi medal winner) who came to my garage to help me set up my first Penton Six Days for a race. I can't think of too many places that people of that caliber are willing to help newbies (to Penton) like you and I.

Ted is a wonderful Penton ambassador too, even though he calls me by a different name each time I see him!

I have found that the knowledge you can gain from these guys is invaluable. Don't be afraid to ask for advice on even the smallest or trivial questions. These guys will help.
We would love to see you at a POG meeting in Ohio sometime. Where else in motorcycling can you sit next to the guy who's name is on the bike??
Good luck and welcome
Conrad

Conrad Pfeifer
1972 Penton Six Days
Conrad Pfeifer
of Mars PA, Home of The Paul Danik Presidential Library

Mike Stephenson

Thanks for the welcome everyone!  Yeah, Ted is a crazy one isnt he :)...he was just at my place this past weekend busting bark with the rest of us in a little informal harescambles I hosted!  (I like my woods trail tight to!)

It might be a while before I dig into the bike in earnest due to an upcoming job change, but once I do, the questions will start!  I think my biggest near term need right now is shocks.  Looks like Progressive and others are available that will fit.  

There is a good chance you will see me at  POG meeting some time!  It is exactly that (the Penton family heritage) that attracts me to having one.  Way different that an old Suzuki!  I also find it like coming full circle as my modern ride is a KTM.  I was just out in my garage observing the 4 "KTMs" out there (05 250, my son's 03 200,  a buddys 99 300, and the 77 250) Neat to see the origin of all that modern iron right there!  I did find I spent way more time oggling the 76/7 though!

Mike Stephenson
Atlanta, Michigan
Mike Stephenson
Atlanta, Michigan

Young Ted

Paul - Some of the trail in  Mike's woods is tighter than what I took you through, so he'll have no problem.

Young Ted

OhioTed

Welcome, Mike.  Everything the other guys have said about the group is true.  Everyone is so gracious and welcoming.  You sure are extra lucky to be a friend and neighbor of Ted & Connie.  They are among the best folks on earth.  When I grow up, I want to be just like "Young Ted", and as fast, too (I wish).
                                    Ted Guthrie

Mike Stephenson

Thanks Ted G.   "Young Ted" is definetly one a I count as a friend...neighbor in spirit - 8 hours drive is a bit long to be a neighbor as in "hood"!   Growing up? NEVER!  Not me... thats the real way to be like Ted!  :D

I have spent a bit more time with some light duty tinkering on the Penton, and have managed a couple short rides here at home.  Really adapting to it will take some time I a sure, but it is feeling more familiar already.  Shocks will really be necessary.  I've been in contact with Rod G. (who it turns out was the first owner of this bike back in 1976/77) regarding possible rebuilds of the old 'zokes, or considering aftermarket (longer) options as well.  

Yep...this vintage bike stuff certainly is a infectious disease!  I hardly look at my other bikes anymore. I think they are getting jealous!

Mike Stephenson
Atlanta, Michigan
Mike Stephenson
Atlanta, Michigan

OhioTed

Congrats on getting the bike up and running, Mike.  Al Buehner let me ride his 175 Jackpiner recently, and it was my first time back on a Penton after 30 years.  However, it took all of about 10 seconds for me to remember why I rode them back in the old days.  Incredibly effective bikes!  Let me know what you find out about rebuilding the shocks.  I also like the idea of trying to retain vintage shocks.  
                                   Ted

OhioTed

Welcome, Mike.  Everything the other guys have said about the group is true.  Everyone is so gracious and welcoming.  You sure are extra lucky to be a friend and neighbor of Ted & Connie.  They are among the best folks on earth.  When I grow up, I want to be just like "Young Ted", and as fast, too (I wish).
                                    Ted Guthrie

Mike Stephenson

Thanks Ted G.   "Young Ted" is definetly one a I count as a friend...neighbor in spirit - 8 hours drive is a bit long to be a neighbor as in "hood"!   Growing up? NEVER!  Not me... thats the real way to be like Ted!  :D

I have spent a bit more time with some light duty tinkering on the Penton, and have managed a couple short rides here at home.  Really adapting to it will take some time I a sure, but it is feeling more familiar already.  Shocks will really be necessary.  I've been in contact with Rod G. (who it turns out was the first owner of this bike back in 1976/77) regarding possible rebuilds of the old 'zokes, or considering aftermarket (longer) options as well.  

Yep...this vintage bike stuff certainly is a infectious disease!  I hardly look at my other bikes anymore. I think they are getting jealous!

Mike Stephenson
Atlanta, Michigan
Mike Stephenson
Atlanta, Michigan

OhioTed

Congrats on getting the bike up and running, Mike.  Al Buehner let me ride his 175 Jackpiner recently, and it was my first time back on a Penton after 30 years.  However, it took all of about 10 seconds for me to remember why I rode them back in the old days.  Incredibly effective bikes!  Let me know what you find out about rebuilding the shocks.  I also like the idea of trying to retain vintage shocks.  
                                   Ted