Needing some shocks

Started by behindbars, September 19, 2006, 11:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

behindbars

I'm looking for a set of shocks for my 74 Scrambler 250. I've been told I need a set that are 13 3/8" eye to eye? I'm about 185lbs and would like to find a set that are ready to bolt on and ride if possible. Red Bud's grass race is next month and I'm pretty sure my scrambler is up to the task except for the shocks. Anyone from the POG planning to attend? Still looking for that elusive pipe for my Mint Enduro. [xx(] I'd gladly swap some of my 74 Scrambler spares for a good set of boingers. Don't need to be fancy.....just something dampening the tail end would be fine.... :D

James Jorgensen
Red Bud, Michigan
74 1/2 Mint Enduro
74 1/2 Mint MX
74 Scrambler 250
James Jorgensen
Red Bud, Michigan
74 1/2 Mint Enduro
74 1/2 Mint MX
74 Scrambler 250

pketchum

James is a righteous vintage enthusiast from lower Michigan and a good friend of mine - even though he didn't show up at Mid-Ohio this year - :).

If anyone could see fit to help him out I would consider it a personal favor.

Phil
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

sixdazed

Ok Phil,You talked me into it-I'll look thru my crates o' shox tonite and see what i have for you James.......Take care,Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

behindbars

Hi there Phil. Sorry I missed you at mid-ohio. Just too busy with work these days. [V] Ric, I appreciate any help you might offer with some shocks to keep the tail end in line. :)

James Jorgensen
Red Bud, Michigan
74 1/2 Mint Enduro
74 1/2 Mint MX
74 Scrambler 250
James Jorgensen
Red Bud, Michigan
74 1/2 Mint Enduro
74 1/2 Mint MX
74 Scrambler 250

sixdazed

James,Most of all the extra shocks i have need 1 of the shocks rebuilt.I do have a set of Fox airs but not sure i want to part with them.What kind of Harescrambler stuff do you have to swap?Also-I asked before on this forum but have to ask again,I still need 1 sachs hydrocross shock (like fox air but with piggyback resevoir)so if anybody's got one please let me know.i have cash or gobs of stuff to trade-will consider a pair of them too!James-heading out to garage now and i'll see what shocks are going on what bikes and what i have for you.

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50

Jay Jones

Al Bs got some Emgo replacment rear shocks I think for under a hundred bucks new! check with him on measurments eye to eye?Or Legends of Dirt in CO have Maverick 5way ajustables for around a buck fifty check with both?Jay:)

sixdazed

James,Shoot me an email,if you still need some shocks i might have what you are looking for.
                              Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50

behindbars

Hi Ric, you've got mail. Thanks for the lead on the new shocks Jay. Anyone reading this planning on attending the Grass race at Red Bud? It would be nice to meet some of you. I've got a lot of names with no faces to attach them to.

James Jorgensen
Red Bud, Michigan
74 1/2 Mint Enduro
74 1/2 Mint MX
74 Scrambler 250
James Jorgensen
Red Bud, Michigan
74 1/2 Mint Enduro
74 1/2 Mint MX
74 Scrambler 250

Tony Price

I think Legends also sells Redwings, which are a sort of Koni knock off, but he is retireing, so move quickly before he closes shop.

Tony
Tony

Dwight Rudder

Your best bet is to order a set of Works Performance shocks or a set of Progressive Suspension 12 series shocks.  Parts Unlimited carries these in 13.5".  They also have the 70/120lb chrome or black springs.  I put straight 65lb springs on a Six Day 125, with good results but had to order the springs direct from Progressive through a dealer.
If you don't have a local Dealer that will work with you , you can call Lee Clark at "THE KICKSTAND M/C PARTS" in Jackson, MS.  His Phone #'s are 1-800-360-BIKE or 601-948-BIKE.  Let him know you got the info from me.
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

pketchum

Everyone, thanks for pitching in to assist James Jorgensen.  He's definitely one of the good guys who loves vintage machines.  He's a successful motorcycle shop owner in lower Michigan, a good friend, and always a smile and kind word for everyone.  I've personally seem examples of his restoration craftsmanship and it is remarkable indeed.  He once showed me a picture of an aluminum 74 Elsinore tank that he restored by opening it up, repairing the dented tank, then buttoning it back up so you couldn't tell it wasn't NOS, unless you were to lift the front of the seat up.  It was magnificent!

Now, if I could only convince him to come down and work on some of mine......

Phil
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

behindbars

Hi all. Phil, you make me blush. Thanks for the kind words. [:I] Looks like your not going to make it to Red Bud this year. Hopefully you can get up here one of these days! Dwight, I'll see if Parts Unlimited has the PS 12 series. Ric, Jay, Tony....thanks for all your input. Looks like this years race is going to be a one day event with modern bikes in the mix. I would imagine the track is going to get really rough! I'm pretty disappointed that we will have to run with the modern bikes as the track starts out rough enough as it is. Perhaps an Evo bike would be a better choice for this one. I would imagine that by lap 2 I'll be looking for the white flag! [x(] Anyone else planning to attend?

James Jorgensen
Red Bud, Michigan
74 1/2 Mint Enduro
74 1/2 Mint MX
74 Scrambler 250
James Jorgensen
Red Bud, Michigan
74 1/2 Mint Enduro
74 1/2 Mint MX
74 Scrambler 250

rob w

James,
My mind is made up - I'm going to ride the Red Bud race this Sunday.
Talked to Wildman, said he'd be there too.
See you there. Bob W

How'z the shock(s) situation ?

behindbars

Hi there Bob. I decided to let the Scrambler rest. Since the race is going to be held with modern bikes, I'm going to ride the Evo class to try and save my aching back. [xx(] I'll be on a 79 Husky 390CR instead of the Penton. I'll keep looking for a set of shocks for the 250. I'm still thinking about a set of Progressives as the price is reasonable, but I'd really rather have a set that's period correct. With a little patience I'm sure some will turn up eventually. Looks like the weather will be totally uncooperative with possible snow in the mix! Break out the long johns and bring some firewood. See you there!

James Jorgensen
Red Bud, Michigan
74 1/2 Mint Enduro
74 1/2 Mint MX
74 Scrambler 250
James Jorgensen
Red Bud, Michigan
74 1/2 Mint Enduro
74 1/2 Mint MX
74 Scrambler 250