Bike prep

Started by Paul Danik, October 25, 2006, 08:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

Lots of times guys ask about special "tricks" for preping an enduro/ISDT bike.  Well today I found out just how good one of those old "tricks" works.  While prepping my 1973 125 Penton for the Six-Days, I loosened every spoke nipple and put a good coat of anti-seize lubticant on the threads.

Today, 33 years later, I put that wheel back on my bike because I found a crack in the hub on the one I was using. I needed to move the rim over a tad so the knobs would not hit the chain guard and every nipple turned as good as new. I use anti-seize on any bolt that will require constant checking for tightness, such as motor bolts and swingarm bolts, ect. I use it on head bolts, but some guys have said that they don't like to lube those threads.  I am sure that most of you guys already know about this stuff but I just wanted to pass this along to help those who may not be aware of its use.
Paul

TGTech

Mr. President:

Let me confirm that this is definitely the way to assemble threaded fasteners that will be exposed to nasty conditions. And, using lubricant on head bolts, is definitely a good thing, because when you do, you achieve the proper torque when tightening them.

Over the period of my life that I have assembled cylinder and head assemblies, I have always lubricated the head stud threads as well as the contact surface of the bolt or nut. Now I'm pretty sure that the engineering community won't go along with using an anti-seize compound, but I do know that a lubricant is recommended; you can find that information in the instructions that come with your torque wrench. At least it did with both of my Snap On models.

Dane

Paul Danik

Dane,

Are you saying that you would not recommend anti-sieze on headbolts, or that you prefer something better, such as maybe oil?  The headbolts I mainly do are the Sachs headbolts, the long inside threaded ones.  
Paul

desmond197

Anti Seize Lube is the way to go. Good to know I am not the only fan of this stuff. I have been using it for years. I use it on all head fasteners as well to get the proper torque readings from my torque wrench. Engineers also know that you should use washers on most fasteners. Bolt and Nut side, Very importaint with suspention related bolts as you can get a much stronger fastener junction that can take 30% more stress before failure. If you put stainless steel hardware on your bike you must use it or the fasteners can be very hard to get off in a couple of years.

don howard

Pres Dane.   I for one support your use of anti-sieze on everything exposed to the weather . After working on Sub,s for 16 years you will be glad you did use it as was found out on the spokes good tip i use it on all fastener,s   Don howard