Chains

Started by desmond197, November 23, 2006, 12:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desmond197

Any recomendation on a source,size and brand for chains for the 72-75 Penton 125 Six Day. My bikes mostly trail ride.I do not realy race them hard like I used to so I do not think I need some of the high tech chains out there but I do not want chinese junk either.

bentrims

Desmond,
Hard to believe that opinions are not popping up on this topic! Here is mine: Based on your description of usage, spend a little extra on an O-ring chain if you never want to change another chain again.

To economize a bit and get a darn good chain go with a D.I.D or Diamond. Tsubaki chain could be a bit more costly but give you the next step towards longer chain life.

Easiest source may be the closest motorcycle dealer. Usually they offer 2-3 different brands. Of course you need to know the number of links.

If you are in no hurry and dont care to leave your comfy chair look on e-bay by keying in the search panel: 428 chain

Good prices online can be had through //www.bikebandit.com   I was amazed to get 1974 Kawasaki KE125 top end parts through them about a year ago.

In the words of a great POGGER...Have Fun!

Gavin Housh

I'm telling everyone I know not to deal with Bikebandit. I ordered some fork boots and they could not send the right item. After two tries and two trips to fedex to return the mini bike tires (that I didn't order) and the red fork boots (I ordered Black) I was talking to thier live chat link today and was cut off. I give up there are to many online MC sevices that do it right every time. Why would anyonre go back to these guys[xx(]. Gavin

bentrims

Gavin,
Thats good to know. If they dont work to satisfy you we best spread the word.
TB

desmond197

I usually use DID chain and have had good luck with it. Just wondering if anything else out there. Do O ring chains fit on the 6 Day. I know a while back I tried to put on on my 74 Husky 250WR and it would not work. Our local bike shops are the worst here is SE GA. To go to a good shop I need to go to Jax FL 90 miles away. Any one deal with Chapparal Motorsports on line?

Lew Mayer

I've dealt with Chaparral. They seem OK. I've had a couple of minor but not major problems with them.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

sixdazed

Although i'm not sure if they are available in the 428 size the X ring D.I.D. chain's last forever.i had one on a modern honda and it's probably still on the bike i have long since sold.i was shocked after finishing Vegas to Reno and just about everything on the bike except the chain needed attention!They stretch very little when new then after that they stay in adjustment and need very little maintenence.So out here in the dez the just flat work great......   Ric
P.S.-Renthal makes a good quality 428 chain-the 428R1 works chain-non o-ring though.

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

Doug Wilford

428 "O" ring chain on the 125s is a No No.   Maybe, if you take off the chain guide block.  Depends on your sprocket sizes but 132 links usually works.
Have Fun!!

wildman

I use the most basic RK-M standard chain on my low use bikes, one's that I just want to ride occasionaly. I got a 530 chain for my 250 Hare Scrambler for about $25 from Tucker-Rocky through my local bike shop. My reasoning is that I can replace three standard chains for the cost of an O-ring unit. I generally have to adjust it about 1 wrench flat after every two motos. True, the RK-M brand is made in Malayasia but seems to last OK. The 530 is plenty strong for my application. The Diamond and Tsubaki standard chains are very expensive.
I do however, run the RK o-ring on my modern? RMX and get 3 or 4 years out of a chain and front sprocket. I find that it doesn't stretch at all, but the rollers get loose and hook the front sprocket so I replace it before it eats the rear.
Just my opinion, but it's worked for me. Wildman

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125
1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125