Which bike for 18 year old daughter?

Started by lksseven, November 24, 2006, 04:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shpclay

The CRF is a good line of bikes and are inexpensive. Heard someone mention a penton trials bike, sure would like to have one, not many around.

Steve Clay
Steve Clay
76 250 Penton/73 Harescrambler
76 husky 250 WR
2002 Aprilia Futura
71 Honda Trail 90

3putt

I have a Penton Trials bike available for sale.  Restoration has been started on it, and located another project that has displaced it for the present time.  I tried to send you a msg using POG addy, and it was returned.  Contact me for photos if interested at <[email protected]> .  Nelson McCullough

lksseven

Steve,

I love that little Penton Trials bike - it's is mucho fun to plunk around on, and what a cool looking bike.

By the way, I've got a '73 Harescrambler (gold) for sale, in case you're interested.  The link to it in Wanted/For Sale is http:////www.pentonusa.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7016

Larry Seale
I choose to ride
Larry Seale
I choose to ride...slower and slower all the time

farmer58za

Larry

I'm looking at a Suz DRZ 125 for my daughter, Nicole. She's 5'2". It's important that they can get feet on the ground until they are experienced. The Yam TTR 125 is similar - they are both 2/3 size bikes.

The best thing about these models is that they will sell easily when our daughters graduate onto KTM 380's

Regards

David
'75 KTM GS250
'75 KTM GS400
Regards

David

lksseven

Hi David,

"It's important that they can get feet on the ground until they are experienced" ...

I totally agree!  And not only rookies - I fell twice yesterday on my KTM 200, and both times was because I couldn't get my foot down to correct myself.  I'm not catching big air on double jumps - what do I need 12" of travel for in the woods?  What I really need is for the seat to be 3" closer to the ground (I can live with 9" of travel).  I know it's all about manufacturing efficiencies, but I wish KTM would make the 144cc a woods bike, 9" travel, lighter smaller front end (something between a 746day and a modern 200, size-wise) ... man I'll bet that thing would be a dart going through the woods.

Larry Seale
I choose to ride
Larry Seale

shpclay

Would like to know what Larrys bike is selling for a buy this 74 250. Haven't heard back. email [email protected]

Steve Clay
76 250 Penton
76 husky 250 WR
2002 Aprilia Futura
71 Honda Trail 90
Steve Clay
76 250 Penton/73 Harescrambler
76 husky 250 WR
2002 Aprilia Futura
71 Honda Trail 90

OhioTed

Larry,

I can appreciate the advantages of the new generation 4-stroke 125cc trailbikes mentioned several times here.  However, I'd like to throw in a pitch for Kawasaki's evergreen KDX200.  You might consider lowering the suspension a bit, but for a very competent, yet extremely friendly, fully-equipped woods/trail bike, they are hard to beat.  Light-weight, super easy to start, and with a nice, big tank, full enduro lighting, gobs of low end torque, and great brakes, this is a bike which would be easy for her to learn on, yet not hold her back when trying to keep up with the "old man".  Hah, I can still remember when my son started to outrun me - he was all of 13!

PS:  While it's not a KTM 200 E/XC, I see Dane's hand in this bike - very well thought out.  Am I right, D.L.?

Mick Milakovic

Hi Larry, I'm building a Jackpiner for my 16 year old daughter right now.  It's going in a '75 frame, so she can ride vintage or post vintage with just a change of shock position.  She's got about 6 years of experience, riding mostly vintage and PV 80's, but now she's too old for the piddler class and has to move up.  That's when I talkedherinto a Penton (it wan't hard!). She's 5'4" and weighs 120#.  Plays golf and softball and has never been really fast, but last year I letherrider my harescrambler and she was able to maneuver really well.  I think it will be perfect.  Have fun!

Mick

lksseven

Mick and Ted,

thank you for the input.  Mick, congrats on helping nurture your daughter to follow her passions outside the box of "normal girl pursuits".  I'm sure that perspective will serve her well all of her life.  That's my goal, as well.

Larry Seale
I choose to ride
Larry Seale

farmer58za

Larry
I managed to get a DRZ 125 from a friend of a friend. It was his daughter's too. No kidding, this one must have about 2 hours riding on it.

Regards

David
'75 KTM GS250
'75 KTM GS400
Regards

David

lksseven

David,

Way to go!  Let me know how she does on it.   Ironically, I had a Suzuki DRZ 125L last year (did I post that already?) ... passed it on to my stepson in Colorado - too funny if I end up buying another one, or maybe even THAT one back.  Teenagers!!

Larry Seale
I choose to ride
Larry Seale