'73 250 Shocks

Started by Daniel P. McEntee, February 09, 2015, 10:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel P. McEntee

I have been eyeing up Mickey's shocks that are for sale in the classifieds. I have been researching the archives for what info I can find on shock length and springs for a '73 250 Hare Scrambler. I suck at picking out springs! I ordered a set of Progressives and springs through my local parts guy and got springs that were way too stiff even for my fat butt. I did some more research and got another set of springs that were better, but it has been a while and my memory tells me that they might still be a bit stiff. I am getting close to finishing up the next two Pentons in line, and one of the things I need to put to bed is shocks for one of them. I was thinking of getting Mickey's shocks for the '73 and move the others over to the longer travel '74 1/2 250 project. After searching the forums I am pretty comfortable that the length (13.5")is what most guys are using. Mickey has 65 pound springs on them, and was 190 pounds when purchased. I'm 270 pounds (working on that?). I would probably NEVER ride the bike to the extent that Mickey does, just some trail riding (if I ever get the chance again!) So basically, I need something to just hold the back end of the '73 250 up while it's in the garage, but if and when I do get to ride it, would I be really abusing the 65 pound springs? I have spent countless hours pouring over web sites and sending emails and such, and this spring thing gives me a headache! If Mickeys shocks will do for now, they may be right for the next potential owner or he/she can get what fits their size and weight. It's not in the budget right now for high dollar racing shocks and doesn't make fiscal sense to spend that money at this time.
   Thanks in advance for any input.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

Mickey Sergeant

What he want's to know, will the 65 pound springs be stiff enough for his weight. Couldn't answer his question. doe's progressive have a stiffer spring? What I could gather was progressive didn't give him the answer he was looking for.

Daniel P. McEntee

Progressive has stiffer springs! I got some of them! I'm just not willing to spend any more money with them, and between emails and phone calls I made to them, they were pretty much non-commital in making any specific recommendation. I'm a mainly a woods rider. You can time me on an MX track with a sun dial! Other bikes that I have owned through the years I have not had to replace shocks or springs. I just don't ride that often or hard enough, I guess. I am probably over thinking the problem, and just not real familiar with how the indicated weight of the springs relates to how the will react to a heavier rider, who happens to not ride as aggressive and fast as a 190 pound rider would on an MX track.
   Thanks again,
  Dan McEntee

gooddirt

They carry these for the 412 : spring 75 lb STD. or Heavy duty 65/100 lb.

VICTOR MONZ

I have had good luck with Works Shocks in Canoga Park, CA, their tech guys will set you up nicely and their customer service is first class.  Another option,. Money of course is Race Tech Suspensions in Corona, CA or Canyon Suspension in Moreno Valley, nice people to work with.

brian kirby

Dwight runs 65 lb springs on all his vintage bikes.

Brian
Brian