PVL ignition

Started by imported_n/a, December 21, 2006, 10:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imported_n/a

POG, set the engine aside a while back when I began the restoration on my 74 Six Day. Just uncovered it and noticed it has a PVL ignition (which I should have noticed when I took it all apart). Read an older post here the other day saying something to the effect that you can't run lights with a PVL. Then ran across a later posting discussing the PVL on a Mint 400 with lights. Can I set my bike up with lighting or would I need to change to a Motoplat? What am I missing here? Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Chris H.

Larry Perkins

PVL ignitions will not run lights but will you ever really run the lights?  Most people I know that have lights on a Vintage bike never have to run the lights.  So they can be on the bike but not operate and it will look the part and no one but you will know.

Of course you won't please the "It's Gotta Be Exactly This Way" crowd and if "The Must Have More Rules" guys continue to dominate the ISDTR type evnts you might need them to work to please others.

If you want operable lights just because then you want either the MZB ignition or the stock "Motosplat" ignition.  You will get the best performance and revs from the PVL, however.

Larry P

lksseven

Crheeterman,

I agree with Larry Perkins comparing PVL to MZB.  I have PVL on a 74 6day, and an MZB on a 72 Jackpiner, and my opinion on them (subjective but adamant) is that the PVL is the much better ignition.  The PVL's response is brute-strong and RIGHT NOW! - it's like Ali's jab in his prime compared to a normal heavyweight's jab.

Larry Seale
I choose to ride
Larry Seale
I choose to ride...slower and slower all the time

john durrill

Larry,
 Whats the difference in flywheel weight between the PVL (with any added weights) and the MZB?
Chris,
 You can always do what some of our local Enduro riders did back then.
 Rig up lights and use a 6 V lantern battery to power them at Tec. inspection. They would either mount the battery in a rear tool bag or between the fork legs just behind what ever head light they could rig.
If you run into an event that requires lights like the 2003 RR it would work. Some of the guys back in the 70's used 6V flashlight bulbs inside the tail and head light and had a system that could get you out of the woods after dark and keep the local cops happy.Chuckle chuckle!
 If the run crosses or uses public roads then you could draw some unwanted attention from local law enforcement.
 We had one Vinduro member that was forced to retire from the 2003 RR because he lost his tag on trail somewhere .
John D.

lksseven

Hi John,

I'll answer as if I'm the "Larry" you addressed your question to ... I don't have added weights on the PVL, which probably explains the RIGHT NOW response.  Supposedly the PVL can be weighted incrementally up to a point where it performs equivalent to a conventional flywheel.

And it's a superb 'starter', as well.  Got a spark like a blowtorch.

Strictly anecdotal evidence, but it's compelling to me at least.

Larry Seale
I choose to ride
Larry Seale

imported_n/a

Thanks Guys, Good Stuff! Can't wait to see how it performs. I'll just cap off the lights (for now). Thanks to Gary Ellis for originally bringing it to my attention, Larry P. for the quick confirmation, and John D. for the tips on alternative lighting!

Happy Holidays to All!

Chris Heeter
74 Six Day

john durrill

Larry S.
Do you like the MZB on the KTM engine? Did it make a difference in starting over the old Motoplat? The nice thing about PVL ign. is they will work at a lower cranking speed . I think thats a big help on starting the Sachs engine. The short kick lever and 5 or 600 rpm needed on a Motoplat for spark make it troublesome if you load the engine  up or in cold weather starting.
 PVL would be a better choice I think for racing . You can tailor the crank weight to the power deliver of the engine and the track  with the added weights available.
 We do mostly woods and trails so the MZB would be a better choice for us. The close proximity of trees , logs , stumps and rocks make the added flywheel weight and slower engine response a blessing chuckle chuckle!   Also the numbered dirt roads in the local National Forest require tags and in some case special stickers to ride on. They allow us to hook up the dim roads and fire trails into 20 to 60 mile rides.
Thanks for putting down your experience with both systems. Thats a help for us.
John D.

pketchum

John,

I put one of Rico Yamane's MzB ignitions on my 79 KTM 250 MC which only looks like the GS (my other 250GS is getting pimped out this winter) and I like it fine.  I didn't really have any starting problems to speak of with my Motoplat until my coil went kaput.  Vance Smith tested my Motoplat and determined it was my coil that went bad, the stator was in pristine condition.  

I weighed my KTM flywheel vs. my MzB flywheel and found the MzB was lighter by 8 oz. although I don't notice any difference in performance one way or another.  The price I paid for the MzB vs. buying a PVL + $75 for the flywheel weight made the MzB a no-brainer in my opinion.  Although I haven't hooked up the lights the circuitry is there should I choose to + I would have a 12v system.

Phil
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

lksseven

John,

The MZB works fine on the KTM motor.  It probably starts a little easier than the Motoplat did.  

What I really would like to do is put a PVL on the KTM motor and see how that compares with the MZB.  

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'd put it this way - going from Motoplat to MZB seemed much more like a horizontal move, performance-wise.  (I got the MZB for the JackP because it was exhibiting what I thought were the same symptoms as my '74 6day had the year before - which turned out to be the Motoplat stator motor being very weak ... turned out that the carburetor was the real issue, and a leaking crank seal).    However, when comparing the Motoplat with the PVL on the Sachs engine, it was like night and day.  The second I got on the bike with the PVL and put it in gear, it was an immediate Bingo!  If I keep the Jackpiner, I'll definitely put a PVL on it.  

Most of the riding I've done on the 6day with the PVL has been woods and trails, and the PVL has only been my friend, never a disappointment.

Larry Seale
I choose to ride
Larry Seale