Flywheel Questions?

Started by Kid Six Day, December 27, 2006, 05:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kid Six Day

I was taking apart a 1251 6B motor for a '73 Six Day and when I took off the right side cover I found oil around the motoplate flywheel. Is there ment to be oil around the flywheel? Also, I need to buy a flywheel puller. Is there anything I should look for? Can I use a different tool to pull the flywheel?

Happy Hoildays

Alex Klein
Columbus,OH
'73 Penton Six Day 125
Alex Klein
Columbus,OH
\\\'73 Penton Six Day 125

Rain Man

Alex, no there shouldn't be any oil in the magneto area. If it was coming from the crank seal, the bike may or may not run.  The oil could be coming off your chain if.. the ignition covers leaking, broken or got a big hole in it...
  Al Buehner sells the flywheel pullers.  20 bucks + or -   Big hammers dont work on the fly wheel either [8D]

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Kid Six Day

I don't know what the last guy who worked on the bike was doing the head gasket was missing and the magneto cover gasket wasn't there either the magneto had atleast 2 ounces of oil in it. It ran when I got it for about 15 seconds then I tried starting it again about two weekes later and it didn't start it started leaking a lot of oil and I stoped trying. Where do u think the oil is coming from? Has any one come across this problem before?

Alex Klein
Columbus,OH
'73 Penton Six Day 125
Alex Klein
Columbus,OH

john durrill

Alex,
 From what you have said it sounds like the engine should be disassembled and checked over. If you can do that yourself then order shop and parts manual, a gasket and seal kit and a flywheel puller for your engine from the suppliers listed on the home page . Take the motor apart and inspect everything. Check the shimming on all the crank and tranny  shafts. Replace all the gaskets and seals with new parts.If your not comfortable doing that then  send the motor to Doug or one of the engine re-builders listed  for a check out. There are no extra gaskets or parts in a Sachs 6/b so if anything is left out  damage can occur to the engine.
 You could have loose engine screws on the center cases that can let tranny oil leak into the mag side , no gasket between the center cases  could do that also. I wouldn't run the engine till it has been disassembled checked out completly.
 Hope this does help some.
John D.

Kid Six Day

yea I was taking the motor apart and rebuilding it I already have a gasket set and manuals and am planning on buying a flywheel puller

Alex Klein
Columbus,OH
'73 Penton Six Day 125
Alex Klein
Columbus,OH

john durrill

Alex,
 From what you have said it sounds like the engine should be disassembled and checked over. If you can do that yourself then order shop and parts manual, a gasket and seal kit and a flywheel puller for your engine from the suppliers listed on the home page . Take the motor apart and inspect everything. Check the shimming on all the crank and tranny  shafts. Replace all the gaskets and seals with new parts.If your not comfortable doing that then  send the motor to Doug or one of the engine re-builders listed  for a check out. There are no extra gaskets or parts in a Sachs 6/b so if anything is left out  damage can occur to the engine.
 You could have loose engine screws on the center cases that can let tranny oil leak into the mag side , no gasket between the center cases  could do that also. I wouldn't run the engine till it has been disassembled checked out completly.
 Hope this does help some.
John D.

Kid Six Day

yea I was taking the motor apart and rebuilding it I already have a gasket set and manuals and am planning on buying a flywheel puller

Alex Klein
Columbus,OH
'73 Penton Six Day 125
Alex Klein
Columbus,OH