Crankshaft Axial End Play For Sachs 125 & KTM 175

Started by lee loveless, February 06, 2007, 06:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lee loveless

(1.) Have old Penton service manual stating "end play permissable of .005 to.010 inches from both 125 & 175 sections.   (2.) Have a manual page in English & German which states " end float .02 mm (.00081 inches ) to .04 mm (.0016 inches ). This was from KTM back in 1999 regarding my question for a 74 175cc engine.  (3.) I have also been told Sachs crank should be shimed to 0, no end play.  What to believe ?  Would appreciate help. Am installing new main bearing.  Thanks Lee Loveless.

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by lee loveless

(1.) Have old Penton service manual stating "end play permissable of .005 to.010 inches from both 125 & 175 sections.   (2.) Have a manual page in English & German which states " end float .02 mm (.00081 inches ) to .04 mm (.0016 inches ). This was from KTM back in 1999 regarding my question for a 74 175cc engine.  (3.) I have also been told Sachs crank should be shimed to 0, no end play.  What to believe ?  Would appreciate help. Am installing new main bearing.  Thanks Lee Loveless.

NO PLAY,..
Speedy------->>>>>>>>>>

Helmut"Speedy"Clasen
 Ontario Canada
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
http://picasaweb.google.com/vindurospeedy
2 x Sachs MC-GS 250-7A
1 x Hercules 350-7A 77
2 x Hercules 250-7A 76
2 x Hercules 250-7A 77
Zuendapp 125 GS 72-73

Lew Mayer

.02mm and .04mm is virtually "no play" in my book.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

john durrill

Lee,
 Up and down play would be 0 on the crank main bearings ( lifting up and pressing down on the crank end).If you can detect ( play ) it then the bearings need replacing.
  Side to side play ( pushing on the crank in and pulling it out) should be at least .003 of an inch. I think.010 is a lot. We try for .003 to .006. From the statement bout shimming I think your talking about side to side play.
0 side to side will cause main bearing failure.
Hope this helps,
 John D.

lee loveless

Thanks,Speedy,Lew,& John for your answers.  Lee L.

john durrill

Lee.
 When you check end play do it with out the small main bearing just behind the primary gear in the case and before you install the seals. We rig a mount with a dial indicator and use it the check end play. You should not have to use a lot of force on the crank when you check it. If you press hard and pull hard on a crank you can show .002 or so end play when it is not their. Your seeing the cage that holds the balls in place distort.
 If the last is confusing to you ( I'm not good at written explanations chuckle chuckle! )drop me a line and i will try and do a better job at it.
John D.