hip replacement

Started by TGTech, December 09, 2006, 10:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGTech

Here's a story for everybody, with some details.

I'm 55 years old and 9 years ago, I got hit by a car while chase riding at Six Days for Ty Davis. The "neck" of the left femur was broken, and I was told that because the circulation to the ball of the femur, travels through the area where I broke the leg, that there was a chance that the ball of the femur could deteriorate.

Well, it took 9 years for it to cause a problem, but back in October, I decided to have it replaced because of the issues and pain. I did a lot of online research about the various procedures, the prosthetic companies, and the rehabilitation and recovery times before I decided who and what procedure to have done.

Last Monday, at Elyria Memorial Hospital's Hospital for Orthopedic and Specialty Services, I had Dr. John Krebs, do a total hip replacement, using the Anterior Procedure with Zimmer brand prosthetics.

The surgery was done at about 9:15 in the morning, and I woke up in the recovery room by about 10:50. I spent the rest of the day in bed, with a foam wedge between my legs, waking up totally from the anesthetics. (total spinal block which makes your entire lower body numb, and some IV meds which also "relaxes" you) Once awake, they of course take your vital signs very often and check to see how your pain is. They use a 1-10 scale, and except for when they decided to give me a couple of my own blood transfusions, I don't think I ever got over a 6. The actual pain that I did feel, was from the muscle stretching from when they installed the new parts.

When I first talked to the doctor about doing the surgery, I asked him to save the three screws that they put into the femur to fix the break, and when he actually got in there, he had to use vise grips to remove the screws, because he didn't have the necessary tools. And worse, the damn OR nurses, threw them away after the surgery!

The pain control after the surgery was done by giving me 2 Percoset tabs every 4 to 6 hours. One very uncomfortable thing I learned when taking the Percosets, was that they interacted with the spinal shot, and makes you itch like mad! They use Benedryl to control that. After a full day, the itching quit, and the two Perc's felt just fine.

On Tuesday morning, they get you out of bed first thing in the morning, and then about 10:00, take you down to a "community room" to go through initial therapy sessions. After about an hour or so, they get you up out of your recliner chair, and have you walk back to your room using a walker! After the first day, I switched to crutches, which I was very familiar with after the 12 weeks it was broken. There were four knee patients and three hip patients, and all of us walked back. I am the youngest of the bunch, so I was the toughest of the bunch and walked the easiest.

There were two sessions of therapy per day for the next three days, and then they let most of us out. Most of us went home, but some went to outpatient care facilities, because they didn't have anybody at home to take care of them.

My son picked me up from the hospital at about 5:45, and of course, they won't let you walk to the door, so they "chaired" me to the door, and I got up from the chair, and carefully climbed into the pick up. We went to the local drug store to get some home health supplies before heading home.

Since I was going to just hang at home an do nothing, I decided to stop at KTM, because we have our Penton Owners' Group meetings there on the first Thursday of each month, and this was out Christmas meeting. Since I didn't hurt, and I could be careful enough at the meeting, I spent the evening enjoying seeing my friends.

I got home at about 10:00 and parked my butt in the lounger and checked all my e-mail's and the moto forum boards before going to bed at about 2:00. During the night, I got up to do the bathroom thing and then went back to bed with fresh meds to make sure there was a good night's sleep.

The doctor's office has told me that I can walk carefully around the house while holding onto things for stability, during the rehab period. I'm not experiencing what I would consider "pain", but there is muscle weakness. Once that's all healed, which should take from 3 to 6 months, I should be in great shape.

There are a few restrictions: you can't bend the operative leg past 90 degrees, or you run the risk of dislocating it. You can't cross your legs. you can't bend so your hands go past you knees (more of the past 90 degrees thing) Oh, and therapy, therapy, therapy.

I'm not running around the house, but I can move the leg in some directions that I couldn't for years. One of my goals, is to be able to get rehabed to the point where I can ride the ISDT Reunion Ride next year, in New Blaine, AR. But, there's a lot of "rebuilding" in the body before that.

Dane

firstturn

Dane,
  Thanks for the update..........my Prayers were answered and it was great to hear you made it to the POG meeting.  See you in Arkansas.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Tony Price

Thanks for the update Dane.

Glad to hear it's going well and I know you will get through this rebuild with flying colors.

One of the things I've learned after 7 orthopedic related surgeries is that it's easier to stay out of pain than get out of pain.  Sounds like you are doing the right thing and following your med schedule.  Stay on time with that and everything else falls into place.

Looking forward to seeing you in Nedw Blaine!  We'll be in different classes, so it's all good, lol.

Tony
Tony

Randy Kirkbride

Dane,
Just wondered how things were going after a week post-op. Hope things are going OK with your rehab.

Doug Wilford

Yes, our prayers were answered.   I know you were doing really well at the POG family night and that was only a few days after surgery.  I am also really glad the weather is in your favor.   I can almost hear Uncle John wanting you to plow snow if we have any. [:o)]

woodchuck

Dane, I have a Zimmer shoulder (Complete)that was installed about a year ago.
After 20 weeks of re-hab it works really well.
I hadn't had a good nights sleep in about 18 months; that alone made everything worthwhile.
Stay with the re-hab, it's your ticket to full use of the hip/leg for the reat of your life.............!

Chuck Purinton

tlanders

Dane, you are in our prayers for a complete recovery.

Teddy and Rosemary

Speedy

Hello Dan.
Congratulations to your NEW life.:D
And no other excuses not to come and ride the RR in AK 07.[:p]
We had riders who rode with only one LEG and won medals.[}:)][8D]

Helmut Clasen KTM
162 Hillcrest Ave
L9H 4Y3
Dundas Ontario Canada
Ph.905-627-5349
[email protected]
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
2 x Sachs MC-GS 250-7A
1 x Hercules 350-7A 77
2 x Hercules 250-7A 76
2 x Hercules 250-7A 77
Zuendapp 125 GS 72-73

TGTech

The hip rehab is coming along very well, according to the therapists that I'm working with.

Regarding what sort of machine I'm going to ride at the ISDTRR, based on my present idea, I'm going to ride my '95 KDX. It's just an easier way to go for me.

Dane

Dwight Rudder

Ah, but Dane, you deserve to ride a CMF Berkshire 100 !
Look for one to restore.  You might know someone that can help you find parts or to rebuilt the engine.
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

TGTech

You know Dwight, I have thought about that, but there's lot of technical knowledge about making that old suspension work like modern suspension, that I don't know about. I've thought about talking to some of the vintage suspension builders to see what might be possible.

Dane

Dwight Rudder

Dane, My 1972 Six Day 125 amazes me on how well it works. I have Stock 32mm forks with 7.5wt fork oil and Works Performance shocks that are 1/2" longer than stock. I swear the bike "feels" like it has 6" of rear wheel travel. Which ain't bad. I swear it goes through whoops as well as my KTM 525EXC. Let me know if I can help.
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.