Got 35k laying around?

Started by DKWRACER, January 14, 2007, 12:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKWRACER

Thomas Brosius

tmc3c

Man I would love to own that baby!!What a SWEETIE!!!

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

firstturn

Thomas,
  If I bought it I would let you ride it....I like to see the whites of someones eyes(including mine)[:p].  It is a neat bike.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

thrownchain

Careful, the owner claims no documentation. Shop carefully, but $35000 seems a bit steep. If it had the paperwork..........

DKWRACER

Which brings me to my next ? Please share some info that you might have for the KRP Flatracker. I went to see an old friend today to check my copy of the KRP seatbase. What I think, is that that the seatbase was originally produced by O'Brian racing, have also discovered that it fits Staracing Frames.......
Are only 50 or so of the KRP Flatracker frames around? What is the real story, and how was it that Kenny, and the relationship with KTM existed?.
It seems like there is another story here.
Thanks in Advance!
Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

firstturn

Tom,
  We have discussed the Kenny Roberts Penton several times here on the POG site and I believe most of the story is told in these archieves( easy to do a serch).  I would be happy to visit with you via the phone and tell you what I know.  I believe there were 45 or less of the frames built.  Of course one never knows how many slipped out the back door with no number.  I hope this helps.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

G Ellis

Uncle Ron if you buy this bike, Birthday boy Dave only lives 20 miles away from the bike. Later Gary:D:D

firstturn

Gary,
  You know I think Birthday Dave would make this thing look like a mini bike.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tmc3c

Brother Ron, If you buy it I will be there!!Wouldn't it be a nice addition to the collection???

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

G Ellis

Uncle Ron I could pick it up for you. Oh wait I did that and the bike didn't make it past my house. [:p] But I do think this would make it to Texas. I always wanted to try my hand at flat tracking and have a sponsor.:D:D Gary

firstturn

Gary,
  Well the positve side of the deal is you picked up three things for me and two of them made it to Texas.  2 out of 3 isn't bad.  I will send you your poster this week.[8D]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Paul Danik

Tom,

Great timing for your KRP question.  Dave Duarte is one of our guests for the upcoming Penton Day meeting and Dave has some interesting knowledge about these bikes.  I was talking with Dave last night and I brought up your questions to him, you see Dave was at Kenny's ranch when they were dialing in that machine and he was also around when they were building the frames and bikes. Dave said he will call Kenny and between the two of them put together as much about that project as they can.  Another piece of that puzzle is Carl Cranke as he did the engines, Mike Kidd was the hot shoe who initially raced those machines.  I was at Penton dealer school when they rolled those machines out to introduce the dealers to the project, Mike Kidd was on hand to help with the dealer introduction.

At the Penton Day meeting we will get as much firsthand knowledge about that project as possible, including asking your questions.

As far as how the project came about, Larry Maiers was the President of Penton Imports at the time and he was and still is a dirt track fan, as well as being an announcer for many of the races.  Larry pretty much had the idea and the connections to pull the project together from what I have been told.

Paul

tmc3c

Paul, Thank You For giving us more info on the KRP.I am very interested in this bike!

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

OhioTed

One day on my way home from work, I came up behind a fellow riding an old Yamaha XS650, which he had converted into a Street Tracker.  This thing was super fine - very well done, and closely mimicked the look of KR's bikes from the '73-'74 Grand National Series.  Plus, the rider was wearing a leather jacket and helmet, both which were made up look like Kenny's.  The jacket had a big #1 on the back, with "Roberts" lettered above.  His helmet was painted with Kenny's famous yellow, black, and white, and had the Goodyear/Eagle graphics.  All in all, a really impressive package.  Never have seen the bike or the rider since, though.