V 001 update

Started by Paul Danik, January 31, 2007, 09:46:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

I am very pleased to say that V 001 will continue to reside in Amherst, Ohio.  Dale Barris, owner of V 001 has decided to not sell this very historic machine and has stated that he feels it should never leave the Amherst area.

The POG pulled out all the stops to secure this machine for its membership through direct contact with the owner when the auction started. POG member Bob Gilman was also concerned enough about this machine to be willing to buy it at auction for the POG, with little or no concern about when or how the POG could ever repay him.  

The constant support of the membership during the auction was appreciated, all it took was a glance at the message board to see how much this machine meant to all of you. Several times, before Bob Gilman came forward to offer his backing, we wondered just how we would actually pay for this bike, then we would think of how John Penton started this whole thing with more dreams than money,that fact plus the support of the membership kept us going.

Paul

Don Roth

Paul,
That is great news, well worth the $25,511.11 our fine friend(s) were willing to
spend on it, as they say, 'priceless!'
 Power to all Penton People!
-don

Doug Wilford

I, like the rest of you all was quite shocked to see #1 on e-bay.  Paul, on behalf of the Penton Owners Group took the bull by the horns.  Paul contacted all the POG Board  members to get their approval of his plan to secure # 1 for POG. Plus getting feed back from the board members on the course of action.    Twice, Paul has driven to Amherst, to talk with Dale about what POG could do to make a deal for purchasing, at any cost V-001.  
The postings on this site were very encouraging towards this mission and it just makes one see what a GREAT group of people we have.  I would like to thank all of you for being part of the family.
A very big Thanks to Paul for his time, efforts and dedication to this and all that he does for POG.

Have Fun!
Doug

rcrump1

Paul;
Thanks for keeping all of us "in the loop". I know I was not the only one wondering exactly what had happened. That is, indeed, great news.
Richard

firstturn

I for one am very happy that the bike will stay in the USA.  Having seen the bike hit ebay I for one didn't want to see it go to another country period.  Since I am not on the board of directors of POG I had no idea that there was a concentrated effort for the POG to buy V001.  That is why, with the proper backing, I bid on the V001.  I for one was very touched with all the Penton owners that contacted me with the offer of financial backing to help purchase the V001.  The people that contacted me know who you are and I am very proud to call you Friends.  Thanks.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

TGTech

The only comment I want to express, is my appreciation for all of the POG members who expressed an interest in "protecting" this treasure. We all know that no matter what happened, the machine would have gone to someone who would appreciate its heritage. But having it here in the US and of course, in Amherst, is what I wanted to see happen. Thank you to everyone's concern and offers of assistance.

Dane

thrownchain

Has anyone given thought to the idea of putting some money towards V-001? I sure if we took up a collection from members, we could be "co-owners". That way in the future, the Owners Group would have a say on the furture of the bike. There's probably a legal process to go through, but would be well worth the effort. Any feedback??  Dan[^]

Kip Kern

I too am glad this wonderful piece of history will stay home.  Now, we must focus on getting it back to it's actual original condition.  I have a few "68" items I am willing to donate for free to help get the ball rolling.  Between each of us here at POG, this task can and should be accomplished to preserve a very important piece of motorcycling history no matter who the owner is;)

thrownchain

I'm in also, I'm sure there will be a financial aspect to this, too. Let us know what needs there are, and we'll do what we can.

BrianTaylor

First , thank you Dale.......  thank you Paul and thanks to all who supported this . We dodged a bullet here and legal plans should be made for the future to make sure the POG group gets first chance to purchase and Dale gets a fair price. IMHO BT

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

sixdazed

Paul and all involved in the saving of V001-GREAT JOB!!!!!Thank You!              
                                  Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

pdserra56

Well done guys. Happy for the result!

stumpbuster

Quotequote:Originally posted by kip kern

I too am glad this wonderful piece of history will stay home.  Now, we must focus on getting it back to it's actual original condition.  I have a few "68" items I am willing to donate for free to help get the ball rolling.  Between each of us here at POG, this task can and should be accomplished to preserve a very important piece of motorcycling history no matter who the owner is;)