68/69 steeltanker aluminum parts

Started by BobJones, March 01, 2007, 07:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobJones

I have hubs & intake pieces on my 68/69 that after I cleaned them they are still dark & mottled. I can sand blast them but I'm not sure about that. I have plastic beaded them but it didn't help. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Bob Jones
Show-me state
74 Harescrambler,72 Jackpiner,69 6-Day

Bob Jones
Show-me state
(2)74 Harescramblers,72 Jackpiner,68/69 6-Day,73 Harescrambler.

Kip Kern

Bob  I use a fine wire wheel to lightly brighten up the ribbed portion of the hubs, then buff the outer smooth portions to a nice original shine.  I glas bead the interiors of all hubs, clear coat them and clear coat the outer ribbed portions.  I leave the outer plished portions natural so I can clean them with Mothers when needed.  Forgot to mention, Dane L. introduced me to Oxi Solv for aluminum, (Eastwood) and I wash all bare aluminum with this after blasting and using the wire wheel.  Clear coat is the final step.  CIAO  PS:The Oxi Solve will make an old Bing look new also!

BobJones

Thanks I'm going to try some fine sand blasting on an inconspicious spot. Kip do you encounter any yellowing with clear coat? When this is finished it will be ridden once or twice in a pasture & then stored away. Thanks for the post.

Bob Jones
Show-me state
74 Harescrambler,72 Jackpiner,69 6-Day

Bob Jones
Show-me state
(2)74 Harescramblers,72 Jackpiner,68/69 6-Day,73 Harescrambler.