Paul D.'s Column in New KT

Started by jay cohen, March 12, 2007, 04:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay cohen

Great little story by Paul Danik in the new Still Keepin Track that came in the mail today. It brought back many memories and reminded me what I miss the most about the good old days. I can't really add anymore because Paul did such a nice job, but my favorite old time Penton dealer was Hermy's in Port Clinton,PA.  My dad and I got a good price on a new Jackpiner in the spring of '73 from Hermy and he said come on down, it's ready. The drive to Herm's shop is about 90 minutes from Wilkes-Barre.  We get to Herm's, and not only was the Piner not ready, but he didn't even have it out of the box !  When you bought a bike from Herm, there wasn't any hurry leaving.  Dinner, a few beers, kicking tires, and four hours later you'd leave with your bike.  To most customers, this would drive them crazy, but to many friends and customers of Hermy, this would be the typical trip to his shop.

Paul Danik

Jay,

Thanks for the kind words.  Lots of dealers in those days became dealers just to be able to buy bikes and parts at cost for themselves and their riding buddies.  I remember talking to guys in the past who said that three bikes and a $ 250.00 parts order was all it took for them to become a dealer, I don't know what it took to become a Penton dealer.

Paul

Mick Milakovic

Hey Paul, I couldn't help as I read your article, but to think about Jody Weisel, editor of Motocross Action magazine.  He has a flare for getting his down-to-earth opinion across, and you also have a flare for writing about things of the heart.  I've noticed this in your writing in the past, but never made the connection with MXA.  Thanks for all you do, and keep the good words coming!  :)

Mick

rob w

Dear Sir: ...........................................December 22, 1976

Thank you for your inquiry requesting information pertaining to our Penton Sportcycle and Hi-Point accessory franchise. Upon checking your location, we are interested in pursuing the subject of a Penton dealership further.

I have enclosed a dealership application along with a Hi-Point catalog and our motorcycle brochure for you to examine. Please review these and return the franchise application or contact me at your earliest convenience. We will be keeping a record of your inquiry in our active file in hopes of welcoming you to our Penton Sportcycle dealer network.

Penton Sportcycles are designed by experts to do an expert job. Our staff in the states and abroad compete on Pentons in all types of competition events, from Grand Prix Motocross, and International Trials to National Enduros. This enables Penton Imports to offer you and your riders, the most competitive competition motorcycles on the market today.

The total benefits of the Penton franchise are far too numerous to mention in detail. For example, in our service department, we offer complete engine rebuilding at minimal cost to you the dealer. Those difficult jobs such as boring, heliarching, and crank servicing are most welcome. In addition we conduct special service schools on a individual dealership basis to familiarize your mechanic with our motorcycles. Our service personnel are as close as the phone to handle your questions should they arise. Naturally, we maintain a vast parts inventory on a constant basis for you the dealer, and for the rider who frequents your shop.

The requirements for becoming a Penton Hi-Point dealer are relatively simple. The initial new dealer package consists of a minimum of six motorcycles. You have a choice of 125cc, 175cc, 250cc, or 400cc, Motocross or Cross Country. The initial cost of the motorcycles varies from $7,500.00 to $9,000.00 depending on the models you select. The contents of the initial parts kit are for current models and are designed for a six months turnover. The kit also contains special tools needed for servicing Penton motorcycles. In addition, there are parts books, service manuals, two illuminated signs, motorcycle literature, Hi-Point accessory catalogues, and other promotional materials. The approximate cost of the kit is $2,100.00.

The Penton Sportcycle is a winner, in the woods, on the track, and in your showroom; we intend to keep it winning.

Don Rosene
Manager, Penton East

Even for 1976, seems like those were pretty affordable means to become the dealer of a brand of motorcycle like Penton.  
Bob W

rob w

Dear Sir, ...............................January 3, 1973

We are in receipt of your Hi-Point Accessory inquiry and feel that you are in a good location to sell our Hi-Point Accessories. We are enclosing a franchise application for you to fill out.

The only requirement for you to become a Hi-Point Accessory Dealer is to accept the introductory Hi-Point Oil offer or place a minumum accessory order from our Accessory catalog of $250.00.
We want only intereseted dealers to handle our products and we feel that by accepting the introductory oil offer or placing a minumum order of $250.00, this will assure us you are interested in our complete Hi-Point Line.

Thank you for your interest.

Sincerely yours,
Doug Wilford
General Manager, Penton East

INTRODUCTORY HI-POINT COMPETITION OIL DEALER SET UP

1 Case #510 2-cycle , .....your cost $12 .............  Retail $20
7 Cases #511 Concentrate, .your cost $104.65 .....Retail $210
1 Case #512 Trans. lube,.... your cost $15 ...........retail $30
2 Cases #513 Fork Oil, ....your cost $18 ............. retail $36
1 Case #54? Chain Oil, ... your cost $24 ..............retail $42
1 Case #549 Flat Proof ... your cost $36 ............. retail $57.60
1 Rack $15.00
Freight cost $15.00

Your cost $209.65
Your Profit $185.95

Sign me up :D
Bob W

Rain Man

I always wondered why there are so few KTM dealers around the "state o Maine" Last I knew a KTM franchise was close to a 1/4 mill  and you had to sell the bikes they sent you, not the ones you wanted.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

sixdazed

Paul,Neat story.I especially liked what you had to say about the Mom and Pop dealers,as compared to the new megasuperstore type dealerships.I've worked at both and by far prefer the Ma and Pa's.It's a shame a lot have them have gone by the wayside.The owner of our shop is Helen Musselman,the widow of an old flattrack racer Pappy Musselman.She is 90 years old,still shows up to work each day,and along with cooking the books,bakes us homemade cookies.She even rides a quad on our yearly shop desert ride and carries the beer and lunch in a huge ice chest.The refrigerator door opens everyday at 5:30 like clockwork and we have one or two to relieve stress after work.I've worked at big dealerships where you could not have a beer on the premises-not my kind of place.Enjoyed your column!
                                               Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

MattyQ

Paul ,

Enjoyed your story , don't you feel bad for the young folks who will probably never experience such a shop or the good old days! Thanks for the glimpses into the good old days of vintage two strokes.  

Q

Matthew Quinlan

jay cohen

Matty, I do feel badly, what I feel worse about are young folks who don't get it or understand.  Today's shops are all boutiques and make me sick.  They're all exactly alike, sterile, with no character at all. Regarding an earlier post by Raymond about the cost of a KTM dealership, I don't know what they cost. But, Dave Santich in Northeastern Pennsylvania is a tiny, one man show that's like the old days, kind of like a clubhouse for us nuts.  Dave has been a long time racer and dealer selling Husky and CZ back in the day, and has now sold KTM for several years now.

Young Ted

Bob - Zero is nothing, but to the left of the decimal point? That price range is closer to todays.

Young Ted

Paul Danik

Paul ,

Enjoyed your story , don't you feel bad for the young folks who will probably never experience such a shop or the good old days! Thanks for the glimpses into the good old days of vintage two strokes.

Q

Matthew Quinlan

Matthew,

The POG works constantly to provide a picture window view of the past with it's programs, such as the Penton Day at The AMA meeting where old Penton dealers, employees, riders and even the man himself, John Penton, gather with Penton enthusiasts for a day of nostalgia and fellowship. Personally, I feel very strongly that it won't be long and we will be looking back at what we are enjoying today as being "the good old days".

As Jay said, it is important to "get it", as apparently you and many others do.  With that in mind, I would like to mention that 2008 will be the 40th anniversary of the Penton sportcycle and the POG is working on several special events to commemorate this historic event.

So Matthew, hopefully you and many others will not just get a "glimpse" of the good old days, you just may become part of it this coming year.

Paul

MattyQ

Paul ,

Thanks for the heads up on the upcoming events in 2008 ! I am looking forward to attending, as time and distance will allow.  This year  being that I live in Atlanta , I plan on attending the Vintage event in Birmingham this fall. Hopefully I will meet some POG members there.  

Today is a great day for me , I recieved my 1st 1974  basket case 125 six day enduro !!! Even in pieces and all muddy, it is still  a thing of beauty.  

Keep those great stories flowing !

Matty Q

Matthew Quinlan

Big Mac

70+ yr old AHRMA racer Leland Loper, aka "the Ossa Kid" of Chehalis WA, told me a few years ago how he became a very small-time Penton dealer in Montana. He made a living in the dinky town he was in at the time by running a bar and, on the side, trading beer for old dirt bikes, which he'd fix up and re-sell.

He and a friend decided they each wanted a new Penton, but the nearest dealer was several hundred miles away. So they contacted someone at Penton Imports, were told they had to be a dealer to buy direct, so they ordered two bikes and  his bar/trading post became an official Penton dealer for western Montana. First and last two Pentons he sold, he claims. Classic.

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

wfopete

In Business: It's all about the money, from the principals to the factory.  The Penton difference? Passion. Check the motivation behind the machine from John Penton.  Goes something like: I just wanted to build a lightweight reliable off road motorcycle.  Quite a  "Vision" or "Mission Statement", eh?  

John; where is the part about the money?

Success does not come from setting records, accumulating wealth, establishing a business, or erecting monuments.  People are the name of the game. To have success you must build upon the immortal mind with love: without prejudice or greed.

-John Alfred Penton
October 15, 1988
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

thrownchain

What's the old saying?? If you build a better mouse trap the world will beat a path to your door?
Well John built a better motorcycle and the world came a knocking.