Quiet Pipe

Started by Ernie Phillips, March 12, 2007, 01:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie Phillips

My 1973 Six Day is too loud.  The pipe appears stock.  The pipe has the cone held on with 3 springs.  The internal baffel is installed.  What can I do to knock a few dB off and still keep everything stock appearing?

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Mike Lenz

Alan Buehner has new silencer packing for those pipes (if it is stock).  They were about the quietest pipes made??

Dwight Rudder

You can wrap a large rubber band cut from a 150X17 tube around the head in front and in back. You can also cut some black rubber fuel line and squeeze it between the cylinder fins.  Even proper 80w gear oil will help quieten the gear rattle.  If being sound tested be sure to stand between the engine and the meter with you leg casually placed against the cylinder fins.  Even holding the pipe with a leather gloved hand will dampen some sound.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

jay cohen

Ernie, I'm glad you brought that question up.  I have a '72, but the parts book does not show any glass packing.  Can I still wrap glass packing around the internal baffle ?  I also think the bike is way too loud to ride around our house and on the local farm next door.

jay cohen

Ernie, I think the pipe you have is for the 72 Six Days and not the 73.  The 72 uses the baffle and the cone mounted at the end with the 3 springs.  The 73 model uses fiberglas and the cone at the end mounts with bolts.  What I'm curious about is can you wrap the baffle on the 72 with fiberglas ?

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by jay cohen

Ernie, I think the pipe you have is for the 72 Six Days and not the 73.  The 72 uses the baffle and the cone mounted at the end with the 3 springs.  The 73 model uses fiberglas and the cone at the end mounts with bolts.  What I'm curious about is can you wrap the baffle on the 72 with fiberglas ?

I think you are thinking of the 1974 pipe which was similar to the Jackpiner pipe. As far as I know the 1972 & 73 pipes were the same for the 125 and 100.
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

jay cohen

Dwight, Not according to the parts manuals for these two years.  The 72 had the baffle with no glass, the 73 parts book shows glass packing and no baffle.  On the 72 the cone end goes on with 3 springs and on the 73 it uses bolts.

Ernie Phillips

Guys,

Thanks for all the good advice.  My rig has the pipe with baffle with 3 springs.  Per instructions of Don R, I packed the baffle with fiberglass, the kind that was basement handy - just reached up and grabbed a handful of pink R-19.  Although I know this is a short-term fix, it definately killed the ear splitting "rap-rap" of my ring-ding.  I'll need to get it packed with the proper material to make it last.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN