Just Two Questions

Started by Chakka, March 12, 2007, 08:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chakka

I know its been asked to death but I couldn't find a definitive answer. I am looking for a color match in powder coat for my 74' 250 frame. I did my 125 about 3 years ago and its fantastic but that color isn't available any more. My powder coater was pushing me on "Bengal Silver" but it looked too bright. He said if I can get a color and who manufactures it he will order.

Question 2 - How do I get the needle bearings out of my swing arm? They seem to have become a permanent part of the surrounding metal. Heat, brute force?....Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Chris

DKWRACER

Hi Chris, I have had good luck with HB Fuller "Mercedes Silver", satin finish and not too bright

Needle bearing removal? If you have a dye grinder with a carbide tip, try to saw a groove in the outer sheeth and then collapse the edges toward each other. Maybe John Durrill can help too.

Keep us informed, good luck.
Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

Keith May

Hi Chris,
I had the same problem with my '76 250. What worked for me was to add heat and penetrating oil. I used a hot air gun that you would strip paint with (Sears/Craftsman). I would alternately heat and apply penetrating oil while hot. The oil would sizzle and maybe sink in a little deeper each time. After many reps I then tried to drive out the bearing from the opposite side with a good sized punch. It took  most of two evenings but I did get the old bearings out. The good thing was the heat gun got hot enough to do the job but didn't scorch the paint on the swing arm. Good luck.
Keith

OUCWBOY

I've had great success with Camaro Silver by DuPont.

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Big Mac

Not much shoulder on the back of the bearing's outer race to get a driver onto. After much experimenting, I've given into knocking out the inner race and needles, then using the carbide/hardened rotary grinder tip (cone shaped) in the drill, grinding a groove deep enough to get through the wall but not too deeply into meat of the swingarm, then drive an old screwdriver in behind to collapse it away, as Tom says.

Take my hat off to anyone who's been able to get an old rusty one out any other way. I haven't ever got one to budge. One of the trickier fixes I've found for these bikes.

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

Young Ted

Take a piece of 1/4 inch steel the width of the bearing ID, round the ends to the OD of the bearing so you end up with a "race track" shape. Slide it through the bearing, turn 90 degrees. You now have more surface against the bearing shell to drive on.

Young Ted

Chakka

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I took a vacation day and figured at least a few quality hours will be spend with my swingarm. I actually have have 3 arms that will need bearings so I can experiment with the methods listed.

Chris

Keith May

Hi Chris,
The punch I used was homemade. I used a piece of allthread (1/2" best I remember). I turned down several washers to the size needed to fit through the swing arm tube and still catch the bearing race. I stacked the washers together to give enough rigidity, jam-nutted them in place, and punched through from the opposite side. It wasn't easy but it did work. Good luck, Keith.