Home Page Photo

Started by OUCWBOY, March 12, 2007, 03:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OUCWBOY

OK, all you vintage ISDT Vets, give us some more data on this photo. Did they really have a CMF prototype in 1970? I saw my first production 1972 CMF Six Day bikes in Aug or Sept 1971 at the 125 Tri State Championship in Amarillo, TX. and all were ridden by the Penton Central race team. I guess it is reasonable that there was a prototype that early, so please enlighten us.

http://www.pentonusa.org/archive/homepage/default_041607.htm

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Rocket

Looks like the cylindar is a KTM 175 on a Sachs bottom end.  Cool looking bike.
Rocket

rob w

Donny,

I have a picture from a 1971 Penton promotional flyer. The picture is of our Penton guys unloading their bikes and gear at the 1970 ISDT in El Escorial, Spain.
 Our guys are riding Steeltankers, but in the picture there are two CMF proto-types parked next to them.
Here's what I can make of them -
. CMF frames and toaster tanks like production '72's.
. frames painted black.
. light colored tank, maybe silver or light blue. (it's a B&W picture)
. 35mm forks, like Steeltankers.
. Steeltank tubular front fender braces.
. the '72 CMF like gas tanks are black where the knee intdentations are,
 either a knee pad or large sticker.
. '72 like tanks have a '71 flip-up gas cap.
. the seats look like they came off of a BSA street bike.
. '72 CMF cross-over exhaust pipes have the same material welded on  for a heat shield as the '70 & '71 Steeltank exhausts.
....and that's about all I can make out.
So KTM was beginning to make the CMF's in 1970.

BobW

OUCWBOY

Thanks Rob,
So what do you make of the home page photo??

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

TGTech

I was kind of surprised to see the green tank on that machine. I have some shots of bikes with silver, red, and gold paint on those aluminum, hand made tanks, but never a green one. Yes, they did have the "CMF" frame configuration way prior to 1971, but I've never known why they didn't make the Pentons using that chassis.

Way back in late '66 or early '67, Fritzi Dengel managed to get one of Sigi Stuhlberger's hand made, works machines over here for the Penton kids to test, and that bike was CMF configuration. One of the most interesting things about that machine, was that when you were on the starting line at a motocross or scrambles, you couldn't even hear the machine because of the quiet exhaust.

Here's a link to a shot of some early CMFs':

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p155/TGTech/11302_d213cb81b0fd57_o.jpg

I don't know what year these are, but they could be the 1970 Spanish ISDT machines.

Any body know who these guys are? I know most of them, but it might be a challenge to name them.

Dane

Rain Man

It dosen't appear that any of them had the fiberglass air box  yet. From Danes pics it appears they had a metallic circular  box of sorts.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

rob w

I've never seen nor heard anything about this '70 175 pictured before.

Not the one I was talking about above - but here's another 1970 CMF style proto-type.
http://six-days.org/pages/archivio_it/archit/it_a/ktm_it/ktm_ph/27.html

Bob W

VICTOR MONZ

My question is...can a person find a 175 barrel, head, piston for a SACHs motor today?

If so or anyone has the set up, please e-mail me with particulars.

Victor

Not that I would try to mislead anyone on race days.

[email protected]

Kip Kern

Victor, Every once in awhile one of the 175 Sachs engines pops up for me to rebuild.  So far, most have been from DKW's and early Hercules.  A 175 top on a normal five speed bottom with an 11 spring clutch. Look exactly like an early 5A , 1970, radial engine.  The cases are "hogged" out to allow for the sleeve to drop in.  I am currently putting an early 175 cylinder on a NOS 125 Hiro bottom, thought it would be cool!  Just have to bore the cases a bit and everything else pretty well matches up;)

Paul Danik

In the lower level of the Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum is a large picture of Jack Penton on a CMF machine, the picture is hanging on the wall near where Al Born's Penton is displayed.  It is a CMF machine but it is different from the production models.  I talked to Jack about it and he said it was a proto model CMF, if you just glance at it you will miss the differences, it is worth a closer look.
    The tank has a different mounting system at the front, the pipe is a bit different and there are several other interesting features.
    Paul

Admin

The person that sent me this photo just sent me another email.  Below is an excerpt from that email"

"I called Christian Priewasser and he told me the tank was yellow and one side panel was green ( maybe changed ). He prefered green and restored the tank in green."

Bill