Vintage Helmet and Boots

Started by MattyQ, March 26, 2007, 03:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattyQ

I am in need of a vintage motorcycle helmet (white or silver) and boots size 11.  Are the helmets and boots still considered safe given thier age.  As opposed to buying new ones , any pros and cons ?

Matthew Quinlan

socalmx

You would be compromising your safety using an old helmet. It was explained to me that the styrofoam interior (which absorbs the bulk of the impact) deteriorates with time. I enjoy racing in vintage gear and did race once with an old helmet (open face with the duckbill visor and football facemask)in order to get a neat action photo. Now when I race, I still will wear old gear but use a modern helmet. I finally found a pair of Bill Walters leathers so now I have an extra pair of British made green motocross leathers (sized 34 but will fit 36 inch waist. They were new-oldstock when I got them and worn twice so in great shape if you are looking for a pair.

Steve Minor

This topic came up before....

Do an "exact search" for $5 head and read what pops up.

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

Ernie Phillips

While on the subject of vintage helmets, does anyone know of a source to restore old helmets (interior padding).  I have a couple of old Bell's and would like to fix up for "parade lap."

"If you have a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet.  If you have more wear a ...

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

OUCWBOY

Try the Bell website. I bought an old Bellhelmet about 3 or 4 years ago and it needed new pads and liner. I was able to buy replacement parts from thier website.

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

MattyQ

I did the search , well said I will be buying a good helmet.  I have heard before the boots are way stiff now .  I guess any boots are better than the tennis shoes I always trail rode in !

Matthew Quinlan

jay cohen

Matty, Bell has some great new vintage style open face helmets, Snell approved on their website.  I bought a full face helmet from HJC that is Snell approved and have used it once trail riding and will wear it to race in.  I hate the full coverage helmet.  I know it's safer and I'm going to give it a shot, but I can't get used to it for now.

Dwight Rudder

There are several makes of 3/4 shell helmets out there.  Z1R, M2R, AFX, and others.
Sidi makes a Full Bore replica boot.  Called the Joel Robert Replica. Available from Vintage Iron.
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

MattyQ

Dwight , thanks for the great info!  Those boots are awesome , I'll put them on my Happy B-Day (40th) wish list coming in June .

Q

Matthew Quinlan