Marzocchi Fork Spring sources?

Started by Big Mac, April 17, 2007, 07:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mac

Anyone have recent success finding heavier springs for 35mm 'Zokes recently? I called Al B., H&H, did the cursory Search through past topics and found:

"...bought a set of heavier springs from Barry Higgins. I think they were 28 #/in and the stock ones are 22 #/in. I'm at work and forget the exact springs rates..." (Ted Landers)

"...i got some progressive springs for the fork built for me (for the 35mm marzocchi)... they are owesome...paid about 75 euros (about the same in dollar)... Thorsten"

"... Steve ,We were able to get springs for our 35 mm cerie's from Speed and Sport. You would need the length and the diameter of the stock springs...John D."

Checked Matt at Speed&Sport, Dave B at AMS, CZ-Bob Borg, Progressive, no luck. Only glimmer was from Rick Dougherty, who claimed the stockers are most likely 19# springs and he can get 21# springs, but source for heavier ones has dried up.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

smkt342

I have springs from 35mm marz off SWM's.  Don't know what #'s they are but could give you some extended lengths.  If that would help just let me know what length you need and maybe I could help.

Keith

Big Mac

Thanks, the stock springs are 22.5" long, 28.5mm coil diameter with coil wire diameter about 4.35mm for reference. I know the formula to figure weight and all is pretty complex based on winds per inch and all, but the above is ballpark reference. Length is good, but forcing a longer one in is just forcing coil bind on some length of the spring in order to shorten/strengthen the remainder. I could do that with a longer solid spacer.

What I really need is about a 25%-30% heavier wt spring, same length. Teddy Lander? You our there with some experience beefing fork springs?

Thanks again.

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

brian kirby

Progressive has a PDF with their springs and the specs.

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/pdfs/7100-105.pdf

Part # 11-1136 is 22.5" long 29mm in diameter and a 16/29 spring rate. Looks like just what you need

Brian
Brian

Big Mac

Thanks Brian, will check it out. Called Progressive earlier and sales rep said they carried nothing close...no respect for us old-bike guys.

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

brian kirby

Yeah, the nice thing about that spec sheet is you can look and find something on your own. That spring is .5mm larger in diameter but I dont think that will prevent you from using it. Also, I did not look at the smaller diameter springs, you could easily use down to a 25-25mm dimeter spring without any trouble.

Brian
Brian

smkt342

I have springs from 35mm marz off SWM's.  Don't know what #'s they are but could give you some extended lengths.  If that would help just let me know what length you need and maybe I could help.

Keith

Big Mac

Thanks, the stock springs are 22.5" long, 28.5mm coil diameter with coil wire diameter about 4.35mm for reference. I know the formula to figure weight and all is pretty complex based on winds per inch and all, but the above is ballpark reference. Length is good, but forcing a longer one in is just forcing coil bind on some length of the spring in order to shorten/strengthen the remainder. I could do that with a longer solid spacer.

What I really need is about a 25%-30% heavier wt spring, same length. Teddy Lander? You our there with some experience beefing fork springs?

Thanks again.

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

brian kirby

Progressive has a PDF with their springs and the specs.

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/pdfs/7100-105.pdf

Part # 11-1136 is 22.5" long 29mm in diameter and a 16/29 spring rate. Looks like just what you need

Brian
Brian

Big Mac

Thanks Brian, will check it out. Called Progressive earlier and sales rep said they carried nothing close...no respect for us old-bike guys.

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

brian kirby

Yeah, the nice thing about that spec sheet is you can look and find something on your own. That spring is .5mm larger in diameter but I dont think that will prevent you from using it. Also, I did not look at the smaller diameter springs, you could easily use down to a 25-25mm dimeter spring without any trouble.

Brian
Brian