Penton play

Started by 242, March 28, 2007, 11:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well things or going well here in southern Illinois, if you call having 5 bikes apart doing well.  My 1974 Penton Mint 400 enduro is now a roller and only needs a few parts and its ready for the motor of which I need to rebuild.  The 1977 Penton GS-400 is also now a roller and it also is ready for its motor of which is ready to go. Now the 1973 1/2 Penton 250 MX is running a bit behind as I still have to rebuid the forks, paint the tank & side cover, and do the wheels.  The motor is about half done. To add to all this work I have a 1985 IT-200 all apart, down to the frame and the motor completely down for a new 2nd gear, bore job, fork & shock rebuild, and new paint.  I plan on doing some racing this sumner with the Yamaha so everything gets rebuild are new. Now for the other bike??? My boys took my old KDX-220 and sold it on E-bay last winter, it took 54 boxes as they parted it out and replaced it with a new WR 250 F Yamaha, God I love my boys. I'll be 65 in June and they just wanted to do something special for ol Dad. Special, how about a big bore kit, auto clutch, MX cams, special carb work, new speed-o that even tells the out side temp, rpm's, when to change the oil, and who knows what more. The nice thing is the button, yes, the button, push and go... We just got it back together tonight so thats only 4 bikes apart now. It's not a Penton but what can I say, very special,   I hope everybody that has kids can have the love that my boys show me, and I can still whip three of them in the woods. Ol Dave

socalmx

You will love your WR250F the more you ride it. Make sure to do the freebie mods (YZ throttle stop, disconnect gray wire, remove airbox snorkel, and exhaust baffle). If you want to make it run even better, replace the exhaust system with a stock YZ unit (add spark arrestor), install a YZ ehaust cam (no need to spend more money for the aftermarket versions), and use the Twin Air flame retardant air filter and cage (eliminates the screen on the stock cage). Since I am a California desert rat who started racing District 37 desert races again at the tender age of 50, I installed a Scott steering stabilizer and a Trail Tech Endurance computer.I also went with a Dunlop D756 front tire which provides more grip and stability than the stock tire.

socalmx, I did all the freelies you did, put in the MX cam and exhaust. I've got the same Dunlop D756, You been talking to my Boys???? I just got off the WR, man your right, I love the power, no big hit with the 290 kit, It comes on at low RPM's and just pull, and pulls. You need to try the auto clutch, there sweet.  Happy trails I'm going riding again after lunch, Dave

Mike Lenz

Dave, You are supposed to have them together by March 31.  Dont you know that?  Its time to ride, not work!
Mike Lenz
Peoria, IL

sifulane

I've been playing some with my 68 Penton Six-Day.  I won't say it has all been fun though.  The piston is seized in the cylinder, the main drive rotor seems to be seized as well.  When I drained the engine casing, the first substance that came out was about a quart of water followed by a greenish slime substance that used to be motor oil. I may just fill the engine case with marvel mystery oil and let it set while I restore the chassis.

I also have an 85 Kawasaki 250 Enduro that is in pieces.

Kimbal Lane Cox
CBET
Kimbal Lane Cox
CBET

socalmx

I thought you would really enjoy your WR250F with those mods done. The only other thing I did was put on a tall seat (flatter profile) to help out the knees a bit. Mike Lenz, saw that you are in Peoria which is my hometown. I lived over in Rolling Acres (out by Richwoods High School/fair grounds) until I was 11. Back then there were still the local woods to play in. Too bad I didn't have a Penton then to take advantage of it.

Rain Man

you guys are talking about riding and i just got back from the best skiing we've had all winter long  [8D]
  Dave, I got a 77GS400 and that "LEG BREAKER" will only start in self defense,
 Projects projects projects, man I dunno how many mongroled frankensteins I've built over the years, always fun never easy and never ever worth " how much ja spend ??"
 Best advice I can offer is ;  "build one bike at a time"
  if feasible
 Vacationland trail report: wear your life preserver on your skidoo
:(

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Hay! I got the big seat also and I way south of Peoria, down near Olney on HWY 50. Penton work has been slow but my WR 250 is now ready for the woods if it well dry up some.  My IT-200 is also coming around, going to start putting the motor together tomorrow. I have the GS-400 running great, just need to take the motor from the old mule, getter painted, put in some new rings, and then slider in the GS frame. It runs strong with the used rings I have in it so the new rings should makeer go. If it wasen't for the yard work, coffee breaks, garden, beer time, friends, and other work I might get something done. Dave

socalmx

My favorite bike to ride and race was my 1980 PE175. It had good power without the small bore zing nor the big bore surge. After riding my WR250F, it reminds me of that 175 type of performance. If you rode your IT200 much, you will easily adapt to the WR and have a great time riding.

Sounds good, I also have (had) a very nice 1980 IT175 that I raced once last year. It did great in a cross country but I let my wife ride it and she just took it over after I lowed the forks and rear shock. We have to keep the cook happy you know.  I got the IT200 but it needed a 2nd gear. I got the lower end done today so its coming along. I have the WR250 jetted and all the goodies working but it keeps raining. I've rode it in the yard and it has some real smooth power, I ready for some trails. Mybe I can get Gary Ellis to come down and help me get in shape for the Casey, Ill Cross Country race. I also need to get that Lectron on my 175 Penton Special so I can ride it also. Better get back to work. L8er ol Dave

roost_racer_27

Hey Dave,
If you need any help give me a ring ill come give ya a hand on anything! im just around the corrner with nothing to do most of the time! take it easy dave!

When in Doubt WFO!
When in Doubt WFO!