Weight ?

Started by MattyQ, May 02, 2007, 10:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattyQ

I was wondering to run an enduro event on a 74 ISDT 125 , what would be an maximun weight the rider  could get away with ?  Currently I am 6 ' 220 ?  I has a recreational rider growing up, now 40 .

Thanks

Matthew Quinlan

Ernie Phillips

Matt,

I weigh about 200 ready to ride and rode Combs on a steel tanker 125.  Bike had plenty of power but suspension is limiting factor as far as speed and comfort are concerned.  I think the terrain of your "enduro" would be a major factor.  If the event is designed for vintage bikes you should not have a problem.  My goal this summer is to "lose the belly".  Less belly = more fun.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

brian kirby

On any 125 vintage bike, the smaller the rider the better but there is nothing stopping you from riding it. Pentons are sturdy, the only issue is the engine will have to be worked (shifted) more often to pull the weight, but it will do it if you can.

I am 135lbs soaking wet, so 175 and smaller bikes are ideal for me. Ernie dropped off my loaner '72 Six Day this weekend and I am looking forward to getting it race ready so I can see how many larger/newer bikes I can embarrass with it.

Brian
Brian

AndyL

Matthew,
My 2 cents:
You are fine at that weight.  I am 6-2, 225# without gear, and I race a 100cc Hodaka in the 125 Sportsman class and a YZ 100 and it is a blast!  Sure your going to give up some straight away power to the lighter weight riders, but you can usually make up for it.

Sometimes being down on power can teach you to ride better, you know, conserve momentum, stay smooth, load the front suspension and rail the corners instead of breaksliding everything.  Watch for the braking marks on the trail and try to take them one bike length farther, or brake later going into a corner because you know you wont have pull coming out.

I have sooooo much fun on the small bores, I am building up a 70 Steeltanker for Hare Scrambles.

Just make sure you set up your suspension for your weight. Change out the fork springs if possible, use a spacer if need be and get the right wt oil.  Works shocks on the rear are great, pricey but one of the best up grades you can make.

Andy #14u
75 Jackpiner
70 Steeltanker
and a bunch of others
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA

pketchum

Andy,

At first I thought you were giving Ernie Phillips riding tips.  If you've ever seen ANY ONE of those Lillian Swamp Riders on two wheels you'd see the absurdity of giving any one of them advice.  They's fassssstttt!  "Baby" Brian will indeed embarass many riders with his tiddler.  That's part of the fun Matthew and it does teach you to ride better/harder.  I found when I stepped down/up? from my KTM 250 to my Herc 175 I had been getting lazy.  I was quite used to using the 250's torque to help me lug out of corners while on the 175 I had to shift more and keep the revs up (on the pipe) to have the same fun factor.

Phil
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

MattyQ

Thanks everyone for the great info, I feel much better about my Six Day purchase! As far as it getting me around pretty good, with a wide body on it! I am hoping my enduro has the 35 mm forks , however I am pretty sure it doesn't:-( .  I would love to someday add a Jackpiner to my collection too; unfortunetly that's not going to happen for a while! My nephews have a couple of brand new four strokers , I hope to tear up for fun !  Teach them a little about that old school thang! :D  

Q

Matthew Quinlan

brian kirby

Matt, a '74 Penton should have 35mm forks.

Andy is right about one thing, a small bore will make you a better rider in that they teach you to be smooth and carry momentum. That is a skill that can only be learned on small bores, but makes you a better rider no matter what size you ride later.

Brian

'72 Six Day (on loan from Ernie P.)
Brian