125 6Day Class

Started by Steve Minor, May 02, 2007, 04:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

Am I correct to say a 72 6Day can run in either the SPORTSMAN 125 or the Sportsman 200....rider's choice?

References........

11.1.7 SPORTSMAN 125: 88-125cc two-stroke and 88-150cc four-stroke motorcycles through the 1974 model year, and like-design machines. Eligible like-design 1975 model machines include (see Note below):

15.1.1 Vintage. For most events, classes parallel those used in AHRMA vintage motocross (Section 11), with regard to machine eligibility and other requirements. The minimum age for riders is 16.

a) Sportsman 200: Machines manufactured as 88-200cc; Novice, Intermediate & Expert. Note: In addition to Sportsman 125 motocross machines, pre-1975 motorcycles eligible for the 88-200cc class include Bultaco 175/200, Husqvarna 175, Penton/KTM 175 and Puch 175. The Honda MR175 must run in Post-Vintage 200.

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

Lew Mayer

Steve,
I just ran my Six-Day in Sportman 200 for CC at Devils Ridge because that's where my Jackpiner normally fits or you can run in Classic.
Any Sachs-powered machine can run in Classic, I believe.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Ernie Phillips

11.1.4 any Sachs powered bike - 125 5A/B  125 6A/B engine.  In MX they have engine sizes 125, 250 & open classes.  In cross country all Classics are lumped together.  I ride a '71 6-day & my son rides a '72 6-day both in Classic.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

brian kirby

Just to clarify, there is no Sportsman 125 in Cross Country, only in MX. So your choices would be:

CC

Classic (all engine sizes in one class)
Sportsman 200

MX

Classic 125
Sportsman 125

After riding Ernie's Six Day for a bit at Combs I think that for CC a Six Day would be a lot more competitive against Classic class 250+ bikes than it would be against Sportsman 200s. Sportsman 200s (Jackpiners and Can-Am 175s) are a pretty big step up in speed from even open class Classic bikes, but I cant think of a Classic class 250+ bike that would be a huge advantage over a good running Six Day.

Brian

'72 Six Day (on loan from Ernie P.)
Brian

Lew Mayer

Brian,
after Devils Ridge, I'd have to say it depends on the course. It was so tight there that more CCs were no advantage.
And it was fun throwing around a 125.:)
Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

brian kirby

Lew, do you know who won 200 Exp? AHRMA does not have the results up yet and I want to see if James Smith won Sportsman 200 Exp.

Brian

'72 Six Day (on loan from Ernie P.)
Brian

Lew Mayer

Ya know, I was there at the awards and for the life of me, I can't remember who won that class. At my age, I'm surprised I remember I was there.[:o)] It was somebody fast.
I think it was Spencer Ballentine.
Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

chicagojerry

i think that spencer would have been in the +50 expert instead of the 200 expert. i WISH that he would have run the sports 200 exp. class
[8D]   chi jer

tlanders

Results are up as of yesterday. I am sorry it took me so long but I was stuck on the jobsite in Nebraska all last week and couldn't get to it until yesterday. All last year we had the results up by Tuesday after the race. I hope I can make that happen again for the rest of the year.

Teddy