Byers Imports, Columbus Ohio

Started by Kip Kern, May 11, 2007, 07:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kip Kern

Anyone ever heard of this place?  I just picked up a "74" 250 ISDT (ETS2501G) MZ and it came with a letter from this place.  A Mr William J. Wilhelm Sales Manager wrote it.  Not a Penton but what a cool Bike and a neat history.

sachsmx

Kip, I am not sure how it relates to motorcycles, but they have an import car dealership on the east side of Columbus, OH. It could be that they also sold motorcycles at one time. Look them up and give them a call. There may be someone there who can give you some history on their business.

tofriedel

Kip,

I do not if they are related, but Byers Automotive was one of the biggest auto dealers in the state some years ago (60's & 70's) when I lived in Columbus.  I do not believe they had a motorcycle franchise during that time.

I will check with some family & friends who still live in Columbus.

Tony
Tony

Gary Roach

Kip,

We buy our Audi, Porsche, and Jaguar parts from Byers Imports. I talked to Jeff in the parts department, and he didn't know if they sold bikes back then or not. He said that he would ask some of the other employees if they knew, and if he finds anything out, he would get back to me.

Gary

Dwight Rudder

Don't you just love the non folding footpegs ?    The bikes run great though.
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

Kip Kern

Thanks for the help guy's.  Appreciate any info!  Those aren't foot pegs Dwight, they are railroad spikes!;)

tofriedel

Kip,

After talking with my nephew, I learned that Byers never had a MC franchise, but they would take anything in trade on an automobile.  My guess is that someone traded the MZ in on a car.

Tony
Tony

Kip Kern

Tony

The address on the letter is Byers Imports, 610 Oak Street, Columbus, OH. a Division of Geo. Byers Sons, Inc. "Transportation Merchants For Nearly 80 Years" 46 East Town Street.  William Wilhelm Sales Manager, Byers Imports Automobile.

Looks like the Gas crunch of "74" got this place to offer qualified dealers the German MZ motorcycle line to combat the Gas Crunch.  Looks like history is repeating itself 33 years later![xx(]

wolfmanonapenton

Byers,sold Mz's and DKW/sachs for about 2years only,a backdoor type of deal!;)very short time period!