Wanted for 1976 Penton 125

Started by firstturn, May 21, 2007, 08:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstturn

I am looking to for the following parts for a 1976 KTM powered Penton 125.  I would like New Parts or almost new parts.  I will buy the parts out right or trade parts.  

Right and Left side covers(number plates).

Clutch plates.

Front number plate and bracket.

Everything else looks great on this very low time MX model.  Thanks in advance for any help anyone can be in finding these parts.  You can either answer here or email me directly off this site.  My phone number is 832.722.0408 if you would prefer to call.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Dwight Rudder

I believe all the 76 Penton KTM 125s you find will be low time.
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

firstturn

Dwight,
  Funny you say that, the last two I had weren't low time and as a matter of fact one was very consistant enduro class winner back in the 1970's.  I guess for all the people I heard bad things about these bikes I know the same amount of people that liked them.  The real fact is that not that many 125 KTM powered Pentons were actually ever produced and sold in the USA because of the high price.  It reminds me of all the bad press on Motoplats. I have never had one fail......maybe it was/is that proper maintance is the key??  Or maybe it is just luck...I will probably have all mine fail in the next 6 months.  Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Dwight Rudder

The only KTM 125 that I saw that finished anything was on a Sachs bottom end.  Seems the cases were weak and leaked.  If the engine didn't seize the cases cracked. The owner of the shop I worked for in 1976 was Gale Butler and he never got the bike to finish a single race. When the shop closed down in 1982 they hauled it to the dump and it looked brand new. Sad.
OH, I had the motoplat fail on my 125 Penton at it's first race. And on one of my Hercules. Probably just my luck.
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

firstturn

I guess the bottm line for me is, if you find any more like the one I found I would be more than happy to buy them.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

G Ellis

Uncle Ron I have some new clutch plates. Nephew Dennis has a complete motor. Give me a call when you you can. Later and thanks for your freindship Gary

firstturn

Gary,
  Thanks for you offer.  I will give you a call.  As far as the engine I think this one will be fine...but one never knows.  Thanks for the Woodsman tank...it is beautiful.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

john durrill

Ron,
 We had bad luck with the first KTM 125 we sold. After talking with Barry Higgins a few years ago got some understanding of the why of it. He sold several of the first batch incountry.
  A major cause was the compression was set  to high. That  coupled with the porting were a bad combo. He said they did several 175 conversions on the first 125's they sold with good results.
 Re-jetted the carb and added some length to the center section of the 125's pipe to make it work with the 175 top end. Suggested just a drop in the compression would have made the 125 a lot more reliable. Somewhere in the 155 to 160 psi cranking pressure range. A thicker base gasket would be an easy fix.
 Good luck with the project.
John D.

firstturn

Thanks for th help on finding the clutch and the front number plate.  I am still looking for some nice side number plates or I will have them done by my painter.  Oh I got another story on this style of bike....seems like they were not all bad[:0].

"Very sweet.  When I first came to Springfield the guy that owned the Penton Bultaco shop raced one of those and won the Black Jack Enduro Series in 125 A class with one of those."

So I guess it is a 50/50 as to how good abike it is/was.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh