Tire iron

Started by Steve Minor, July 03, 2007, 11:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

Went to Harbor Freight this past weekend and saw 24" tire irons on sale for $5.99 each (reg $9.99)....spooned on one end, curved on the other...way too big for the trail, but perfect for the shop.....I picked up two.

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

OhioTed

Use 'em careful-like, Steve.  While trying to pry off an ancient (and rock-hard) knobby one time, I actually cracked a previously perfect oem DID aluminum rim, from the considerable leverage offered by the long irons.  You probably heard the resulting curses all the way down at your house.  PS:  I cried, too.

Steve Minor

Oh yeah...I'm careful with them....and the mechanical advantage of a lever is sometimes amazing.....Like my old buddy Archimedes said: "Give me a place to stand and with a lever I will move the whole world."

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

Cowhouse

Went to a couple auto part stores the other day thinking it would be no big deal to get tire irons and found out it wasn't something they normally carry anymore.One guy at autozone, when I asked if they had "tire irons," referred me to the 4-way lug wrenches. So I got them on order from the local mc shop. Am I getting old or what? Could've used those 24 inchers to wrestle off the 530x17 rear on my husky.

Not familiar with Harbor Freight. They have a website[?]

Steve Minor

Steve Minor

thrownchain

You might want to try Ag suppliers also, Tractors Supply among others.
Farmers like to do there own work.

Dwight Rudder

Actually you can change a tire with no problem using 6" tire irons.  More than 10" is not recommended as you can easily break the bead.
Cher'o,

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

OhioTed

While what Dwight says is true, what he's not telling you is that ISDT vet-pros like him can also change a tire with their fingers!  Seriously though, the short levers do work fine, even for mere mortals.  I've not used my long irons since the rim-cracking experience.  Instead, I make sure to get the tire(s) nice and hot before going at it.  Old Sol works well in the summer, and a torpedo heater does it the other ten months of the year.  Oh, and lots o' lube - right on the bead's edge.  Powder-up that tube before you slip it in, too.  And, right or wrong, I semi-inflate the tube to help avoid pinching.  These methods have helped me out, although interestingly enough the toughest tires I've changed in recent memory were a couple of vintage-style trials universal, for my old trials bike.  With their soft sidewalls, I thought they'd be a snap.  Not-uh!!!