my first penton

Started by pdness, July 13, 2007, 07:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdness

bought my first penton today. 73 250 hare scrambler missing carb been stored 30 yrs in basement in massachusetts. Planning full resto donot want to make money on ebay chopping up. i am 47yrs old owned hondas kaw. hodaka125. presently riding 83 honda xr200r.11yr old daughter rides yamaha ttr.looking forward to talking to all of you.
73 hare scrambler 250

thrownchain

Welcome to the group!!! I'll give you a warning.....owning Pentons is like Lays potato chips, it's hard to stop at one!!

Any questions you need answered, don't be afraid to ask. There's a wealth of knowledge here and it's always available.

bentrims

Hello Ness,
Glad you joined us. Very glad you decided to keep this bike whole!
I have found the restore process to be an excellent way to get through long winters. (Minnesota)

I am more on the side of asking questions here. These guys forgot more than I ever knew.

HAVE FUN!
Tom B

cubfan1968

Welcome aboard, you've come to the right place. This group is A#1 any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

Rain Man

Bing 54 carburetor if memory serves me correctly.  real common carb.  Make sure you get the right type of mount for it.(spigot or hose)
 There's an outfit in Kansas ? called Bing International, they got all the internal parts for 1 also. I believe there listed under the suppliers list, here on this website
  I got an Electron on mine and it runs like a top !!
I'm not to far from Mass either !

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

imported_n/a

New Penton owner!
Welcome!!!!!
From another newcomer.
Your, story sounds similar to mine.
I just bought my first Penton about 10 months ago a 74 250 harescrambler, mine was in a garage in New Jersey, I was 49 when I bought her. I never owned a Penton knew about them but never owned one till now, also could never part her out for profit on e-bay!
My resteration started as just for a rider that looks good, but every hour I spend on her I get more attached,I think the Lays chip syndome my apply? My wife really thinks I am a little sick but my quest all started when I was on the verge of turning 50. I told her I don't have a hobby and all I do is work, I'm getting where I should find a hobby? She gave me great advise she said "think about some you really like doing or did in the past that you loved doing". It took about two seconds for me to figure out I wanted a dirt bike! The problem was all the stuff they sale now have radiators, four strokes and starters, I wanted a real dirt bike so it was a no brainer I was off to Jersey to pick up my Penton from e-bay.
I have the frame almost ready to paint, the engine has been totally rebuilt, painted and ready to be put in the frame, and Im off to Mid-Ohio in a couple of weeks with my shopping list.
Hope to be riding soon! Hope to see you out there on your 73 tearing up some dirt and making dust!
Cappy

DKWRACER

New members? (2) What a pleasant surprise! Waiting in the wings, so to speak, are two more:
Joel Kirby is restoring a 75/76 400 (from a roller)
Tom Derosier a 74 250 (basket case headed to the dump)

The insiration, John Penton
The help, the POG
The friends and desire, the POG

Yes, the campfire is burning!

Thanks,
Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius