Long Intro-Penton restoration ref req.

Started by seasonediron, May 09, 2007, 03:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pakala

Greg,
 I have a DKW 100 built by your brother DKWKid it is bloody quik.Just picked up a Penton 100 Berkie from the orig. owner Paul Golde a local racer back in the 70's. Hope to race one of these bikes at the Elsinore Grand Prix this year.
 I will try and post pics of the Penton 100.
        Paul (socal)

sixdazed

Hi Paul ,Was that the one on ebay early the other morning with a 500.00 or so buy it now on it?I went back after thinking about it to punch the buy it now and you already had!Ya snooze ya lose.Looks like a good start on a 100 class terror!
                                        Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

socalmx

Ric and Paul, I hope you join me racing at Elsinore. Victor Monz has a Berkshire that I am hoping he will want to ride as well. Paul, glad to hear that you liked the DKW 100 that you purchased from my brother. Overall, it really is a nice bike to race. He knows how to build a nice Sachs motor and keep them running.

sixdazed

Greg,As i said before i'll be planning on Elsinore!!!!!!!Can't wait-just hope i can get in shape and get health issues under control-but i'm going to ride no matter what...I've got same symptoms as Dwight with limbs going numb-degenerative dics,etc.Let's get some more guys(or/and gals!)to go too.Wonder how many it would take to have our own class or at least start on our own row?
                                     Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50

socalmx

Guess what... last year they established a 100 Trailbike class and we all started on same row! I understand dealing with those old injuries. Looping a 500XC Husky at 60 mph during Barstow to Vegas 1987 left me with a lower back issue that I keep in control with visits to the Chiropractor. There are still 6 months before the race so hopefully you will be in a better place by then.

pakala

Ric,
    http://tinyurl.com/2kr7co

Yes, that was the bike. Has a large type bing 28mm, move up bottom shock mount. Very nice and looks to be a easy restore. Just picked up a small bullet headlight for it. I will be putting it in enduro trim.
                Paul(socal)

sixdazed

Paul,Yep that's the one-I've got enough stuff laying around to build at least 2 100's but,as you said that one looks to be such an easy restore.Great deal.Come and join us at Elsinore!
 Greg,I'm thinking of getting an inversion table to hang upside down in to keep what's left of my spine straight.I've tried chiropractors,accupuncture,drugs,epidural injections,more drugs(the legal kind),steroid injections,and nothing seems to work for long.So what the heck i'll hang upside down like a bat twice a day and see what happens!
               Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50

Ron

Hi guys,
I'm a socal guy too, with 54 hot on my back fender.
What a blast a 100cc class at Elsinore would be.
I recently finished my 72-73 125 six-days and then threw the chain when I forgot put the clip on the masterlink. I was anxious want to try out a 13t c/s sprocket.
The chain knocked out a welded repair from someone elses previous misfortune. So I'm putting it together in another set of cases with new bearings and seals.
It didn't shift very good and I was looking for a reason to take apart, I got one.
Back to the 100's. I have a 70 or so Sachs waiting in line. I had always thought I would build it as a 125.
It would be a blast to race it as a 100.
If anyone here could help me source a 100cc top-end and a pipe, I pretty much have everything else, I would build a 100cc for Elsinore.
RonW

socalmx

The more the merrier so I hope you can get that Sachs finished. Let me know if I can be any help (short of coming up with that 100 top end)

sixdazed

Sounds like 100 fever is in full swing!Elsinore GP is on my Must Do list this year.Hope to see a bunch of us there!Are you guys riding short travel 100's or what?I have a 75 125 frame sitting here and am thinking of going with that frame with shocks in the laydown position
and maybe a bit longer travel forks.Would that be not in the true vintage spirit or just plain cheating?[}:)]A bit more travel would sure be easier on my back.    
                            Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50

socalmx

For me it is 32mm Cherries up front and 4 inch Curnutts in back. I don't think anyone would really care if you rode with the laid-down shocks but cannot say for sure if EGP folks are looking at suspension like AHRMA would. Let's keep the momentum going and make this a pimary west coast event for Pentons!

Ron

If I can't find a 100cc top-end for the Sachs, I'll ride my 125 Penton. But I'm not going to  give up on the 100cc yet.
I even started a diet, so I won't kill the poor little 100.
RonW

socalmx

Don't worry too much about dieting. Everyone I know that is going to race is more than a bit heavier than when they raced 100cc bikes in their youth.

Ron

Hi Guys,
Thanks to Gary, it looks like I've got a 100cc top-end coming for my Sachs, yea!
Quick question though. I saw the question asking about 100cc "engine plates". Am I going to have a problem if I have a 125cc engine plate on my bike?
Right now my biggest hope is to finish, the possiblity of a "winner" protest has got to be nil.
Any thoughts?
See you at the finish line!
RonW

socalmx

Protest? No such thing as a protest in the vintage class at Elsinore. It's all for fun so everyone is real easy going about things. Just bring the bike out and let 'er rip........