Mid-Ohio VMX Recap

Started by Ernie Phillips, July 30, 2007, 04:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie Phillips

Below is my race write-up.  Please add your experiences.  Tell us about your race.  Everybody has a story ...

Mid-Ohio Vintage MX

My son, Christopher (44u), went 1/3 for 2nd overall in Classic 125 Novice.   Since his grouping had 125 Classic Expert and Novice starting at the same time it was hard to tell how he was doing.    In moto one he pretty much rode by himself.  He got a bad start in moto 2, but was able to pass a couple of riders and move to the front.  Then he lost concentration, cross rutted and fell.  He finished 3rd in moto 2.  

I (50v) planned to race in 2 classes:  +50 on a '74 450 Maico and Classic 125 on a '72 Penton - all Intermediate.  In practice the Maico died.  In +50 you can ride any vintage legal bike, so naturally I wanted to take advantage of the large Maico and its MX pedigree.  But that was not to be due to poor preparation on my part.  The death of the Maico meant the Penton would get ridden in +50 as well as Classic 125.  The race schedule had me +50 in Race 15 and Classic 125 in Race 16.   Back to back races, what a way to enter to world of Vintage MX.

In moto 1 of Race 15 (+50) I got a mid pack start.  I was prepared for guys to blow by me on the straight but that didn't happen.  I got pulled but not passed.  By the start of lap two, I had overcome my fear of being out gunned and started to ride aggressively.  I went deeper into the corners and by the end of race must have passed 6-8 guys.  I came in 5th.  +50 was a big class - 47 riders signed up so they broke it down into Gate 1 & Gate 2 groupings  -- so maybe 20 guys were in my moto.  I was pleased with the result but totally fatigued at the end of 4 laps.  I exited the track and went to the starting line for Race 16.

As I lined up, the extent of my exhaustion set in.  I was whipped!  I knew I had made a mistake by riding so hard in the +50 class.  I had made a mistake by signing up for 2 classes.   I wanted to do well in Classic 125 as these were "like machines" and held the promise of better racing and a better indicator of rider skill.  125 vs 125, CZ vs Penton vs DKW vs Husky, vs Carabela vs Monark vs Bultaco ...  Well, I had come to race so when the gate dropped, I went out as hard as a I could.  As we entered the first turn, the hole shot belonged to the rider who was going to go in deepest.  The hole shot was mine, but I had no strength.  Man, was I tired.  I tried to settle down and just ride the preferred line and make those behind me work to get around.  After 1-1/2 laps, the CZ got past.  Then another rider passed me and another ... and another  Luckily I had enough sense to just slow down and not crash and get hurt.  Although I didn't fall, my ego was badly bruised.   Getting passed is not something I like.  

I decided to skip moto 2 of +50 and try to redeem myself in 125 Classic.  Christopher & I rode the pit bike to Pentonville for a free lunch.  After we got back to the pits we got out our Therma-Rest pads and both of us laid out under the E-Z Up -- totally wiped out.  We could hear the race progression via the PA system, so we rested until the last moment.  I did not want to race but I did not want to be a quitter either.  I went to the line hoping to do better but had no idea where I was going to get the strength.  When the gate dropped, I came out number 2 but by the exit of turn one, I was back to the 4th spot.  No energy, no desire ... but I came to race so I just decided to hang on and see if I could muster some enthusiasm.  The CZ got a worse start than me but he soon got around.  Now I'm in 5th and thinking this totally sucks.  But, the guys aren't getting away too bad, except the CZ who is headed for a repeat win.  As lap 2 begins, I'm not feeling any worse so I decide to see if I can move up.  I pick off one ride then another ... and another, most of the passes occurring on the inside of tight turns.  This is fun and my confidence is coming back.  At the beginning of the last lap, the CZ is in sight.

I'm closing the gap with each turn.  There is no thought of fatigue.  I'm going to get that CZ.  With a half lap go to, we come out of a flat grass turn opening to the fastest part of the track.   I'm on the inside and getting on the gas early.  So early that I nearly fall, but I recover without backing off.  Can I pass the CZ on the back straight going into the chicane?  I close up, my front tire by the CZ foot peg.  I decide that a pass attempt now, at this speed, is too risky.  After all, this is for fun.  I drop back and follow the CZ through the chicane, ready to pounce.  Coming out, I'm on the gas hard ... full song ...  third gear, fourth gear ... top gear.  My Penton is quicker than the CZ but not enough to just power by.   If I'm to get around, the pass will come with brakes, not the throttle.  This is it.   Now or never.  The tight left hander is my best chance, my last chance.  I passed a rider here in moto 1 of +50.  I know I can do it.  Is there room on the inside?   The CZ swings into position setting up for the turn, taking the preferred line.  Here is the opening I need.  I dive inside, keeping the bike straight up for maximum braking.  I'm on clean, dry grass that no knobby has touched.   I'm in tight, very tight.  Too tight?  Will this Penton turn on a dime?  The tires stick to the grass like contact cement.  No slip.  No slide.  I square the corner.  The CZ is forced wide but still on the gas.  Out of the corner hard, not the time for a missed shift, over the jump, third gear, fourth gear, brake and turn, over another jump, gassing it hard, taking the next turn a little wide to protect my turf.  The CZ doesn't like being #2 and makes a strong charge.  I tell myself, "Ride your line, make good shifts, protect the inside ..."  For the remainder of the race I can hear but never see the CZ.  The Big Bore Berkshire takes the win.  What fatigue?  Score 6/1 = 2nd place overall.  Grand time for sure!

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

rd400pi

Ernie,
  Great story!  It brought me right into the race.  Sorry I missed the weekend.  Hope to see you all at the ISDTRR.

Mike H.
  Tulsa POG

thrownchain

Somebody has to up date us on Amber?? How did "Black Beauty" do??[?]

454MRW

I spoke to Gary Ellis after her 1st heat, and according to him, she fell in a mud hole and broke her shift lever, and still managed to come in third in the first race! My son Steven and I got to watch her in her 2nd heat, and saw her pass another rider, and also according to Gary, she finished 2nd in that heat. Way to go Ambr!!!
Ernie, it was a pleasure meeting you, and congratulations on a good race. I wish I could have seen that one! Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Mick Milakovic

Ernie, that story was fantastic!  I felt I was riding the "Buddy Class" with you!  I don't know what you do for a living, but creative writing is in your blood.  Thanks for introducing yourself to me Sunday at the PV events, and congratulations on your come-from-behind win!

Dan and Mike, Black Beauty and Ambr did great.  After a loose coil wire ended her practice early, and a 1st moto fall in the mud broke a shifter spring, the bike ran perfect.  To add to that, I think Ambr had the weekend of her life.  It started last Thursday when she went to church camp for two days, I picked her and her sister up Friday night and drove until 3am to get to Mid-Ohio, she got her picture taken with Jack Penton and her bike, raced Sunday and got second overall, and then finished up the weekend on Monday in a golf tournament where she shot a team-low of 95.  I don't know how she did that last one because I'm still sore from Sunday's racing, and all I had to do is walk around and watch her!

Mick

hankthecrank

Hello all.  Boy, was that ever good racing! Watching all the young guns, Cory B, Adam Giddings, and Amber to name a few, and watching all the older riders also.  By the way, how about that holeshot and lead into turn 1 that our very own Jack Penton pulled off in the Legends of Motocross race!!! Not bad for a enduro guy! Congrats to all and thanks for a great weekend of racing.  Hank

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

Lew Mayer

Ernie, good story. Sorry I didn't get to meet you.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

vmxracer

WOW! that was definately one of the best weekends of my life. i don't know that it could have been any better. I was speechless when i got to meet Jack Penton. I honestly couldn't belive it was happening. Then racing one of the best bikes ever made, and actually do better than i had planned on. I met so many great people. i also would like to thank Dave, Gary, and Jamie for the work they put into my bike when it wasn't running right. it was nice to be able sit and relax after parctice! :) a major thanks for Gary and Toni Roach, i couldn't have raced as well, without that new shift lever from Al! I am so glad to be able to be around such a great community of motocross racers! I can't wait for the next race. I really would like to thank my dad and gary ellis(again), for the amazing bike i now own. Gary, you are awesome, and yes, i still owe you those cookies! Thanks.

Ambr Milakovic
"Black Beauty" 175 Piner
Ambr Milakovic
\\"Black Beauty\\"

chicagojerry

special thanks go to gary ellis for helping with the ignition on my 400 mint. he brought the dial indicator and whole shooiting match, (and then i pinched the wires in the ignition covers. OUCH! sorry dane)[:I]
   great to see everyone. the buehners did a wonderful job with the meals despite the heavy rains at the beginning. a good time was had by all.. portland on the horizon  [8D]   chi jer

tlanders

It was a most wonderful weekend, especially because my son Alex was there to race with me. Great memories were produced, the Pentons all ran great, and watching On Any Sunday at the POG tent Saturday night was special.

Teddy

rob w

Mid-Ohio photos can now be found through "Events & Results" on the AHRMA site.

Jack Penton -> http://www.motolenzphotos.com/photos/midohio/july/legends/P7276948.JPG

me -> http://www.motolenzphotos.com/photos/midohio/july/1/P7275525.JPG

Where are you?

Ernie Phillips

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN