Deadmans Point MX & Euro Scrambles

Started by ktmlifer, August 05, 2007, 01:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ktmlifer

ANNOUNCEMENT!

This is an open invitation to anyone who used to race, trail ride or camp at the old DEADMANS POINT motocross and desert race tracks back in 1965-1973. If you know the name, you know the place located in Lucerne Valley, CA! I am conducting interviews of folks who were fortunate enough to be a part of this historical venue early in American Motocross and great District 37 European scrambles racing at The Point. I am beginning to write down my personal experience which was closely involved with putting on and supporting racing at DMP from 1968-1973.

I will eventually publish the book to finally add this great venue to the annals of dirt racing history where it belongs. Since I grew up as a young kid not more than 4 miles from the track, I have a lot of great stories to tell, characters to remind us of where our roots began. Saddleback, Carlsbad and Indian Dunes were DMP contemporary MX tracks of the day that got all the notoriety. DMP though held something special those tracks never realized. You will have to read about it in the book when it comes out. Get your DMP story submitted as soon as possible.

Please contact me directly for an interview. Your contribution will be recognized in the book as a co-contributor.

You may mail in your story to:

Eric Johnson
610 Reyes Drive
Walnut, CA. 91789

Or call Eric at:
562-298-8046 or 909-869-7600

Emailed accountings and photos are always welcome.

Thank you for your attention, this should be a fun project all will enjoy when completed. All proceeds will be donated to the American Cancer Society.

Kind regards, Eric Johnson

brian kirby

I raced the Desert MC races at Soggy Dry Lake in Lucerne Valley from '81-'88 when I lived in SoCal but I had only heard stories of Deadmans Point. Where was DMP in relation to Lucerne Valley?

Brian

'72 Six Day (on loan from Ernie P.)
Brian

ktmlifer

Quotequote:Originally posted by brian kirby

I raced the Desert MC races at Soggy Dry Lake in Lucerne Valley from '81-'88 when I lived in SoCal but I had only heard stories of Deadmans Point. Where was DMP in relation to Lucerne Valley?

Brian

If you traveled to Soggy through Apple Valley, right where Bear Valley Road and Highway 18 met at the rocks, that was DMP behind the rocks. All that was left in the 80's was a couple buildings, the track was long gone. There are still remnants of the track including the famous "rock launch" today. Go check it out.;)

Eric Johnson,
OLD S'CooL Restorations

brian kirby

Eric, unfortunately I live on the other coast now, but I know exactly where you are talking about.

Brian

Brian

Lloyd Boland

"Rocket" Rex lived and had a shop there.  If you go to Rex's site, http://mysite.verizon.net/res08j9x/rocketrexstaten/id3.html, there is a picture of him at DMP.

ktmlifer

Quotequote:Originally posted by Lloyd Boland

"Rocket" Rex lived and had a shop there.  If you go to Rex's site, http://mysite.verizon.net/res08j9x/rocketrexstaten/id3.html, there is a picture of him at DMP.

Correction:
http://mysite.verizon.net/res08j9x/rocketrexstaten/id3.html

socalmx

And before all that you could see cowboys and indians riding around in all of those 40's and 50's westerns. I went past DMP on a regular basis during the 70's into the 80's on way to District 37 Desert races. I can't honestly remember any racing activity going on there during that time.

ktmlifer

Quotequote:Originally posted by socalmx

I can't honestly remember any racing activity going on there during that time.

Racing stopped in the summer of 1973 thanks to the landowners complaing about dust and noise to the BLM! If you remember this was when the Duck of the Desert and Super Hunky were battling for our land rights. Sad story!

deek

I remember DMP well. Two friends and I, back in 1969/1970, raced for the first time at Deadmans Point. Two of us had 120 Kawasaki Road runners and one Suzuki 120. Then it was a one hour Grand Prix style race. That day we learned what Motorcycle racing was about. Needless to say, none of us finished, our scooters fell apart. Laps were checked, going under the porch of an old building. What a blast!! We did return there after and continued racing until 1974 in So. Cal. on Sachs/DKW's

Dale Walter

ktmlifer

Quotequote:Originally posted by deek

I remember DMP well. Laps were checked, going under the porch of an old building. What a blast!! We did return there after and continued racing until 1974 in So. Cal. on Sachs/DKW's

Dale Walter

Dale,
These are the old buildings, can you pick out that check location?
http://www.geocities.com/nas51st/DMpoint01.jpg

deek

Eric

The building in the upper right hand corner all by it's self. But it doesn't have a porch on it. We had to stop on the porch to be checked for each lap completed. It's not in the same position as I remember. Back then the American Eagle was tested on the course, ridden by two English riders.

Dale

ktmlifer

The building in the upper right hand corner all by it's self. But it doesn't have a porch on it.

Dale,
I dont remember the "slanted house" having a porch. That structure was built on an angle just for the kids to play in. Now the building on the left side of the photo has a porch. That became what we called "The Shack" when the MX track was built over on that side of the rocks. Everybody signed up at this location. I'll bet that was where you checked in. The desert races ran around the shack and through the rocks behind the western village.

deek

Your probably right, has been a long time.

Dale