Frame paint discontinued

Started by imported_n/a, August 03, 2007, 08:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imported_n/a

Penton owners,
Just some bad news I tried to purchase PJ1 KTM 98-03 silver frame paint in a shaker can through Cycle Hutt yesterday, this morning I had a reply back saying out of stock & PJ1 discontinued making it.

I was told it was a good match.

Can anyone suggest another brand that they have found to be a close match?

Thanks
Cappy

tofriedel

Cappy,

I purchased some of the PJ1 paint in May, but I had to go direct to PJ1 to find out who carried the paint.  At that time it was not discontinued.  I found mine at AutoZone.

Tony
Tony

imported_n/a

Tony,
AutoZone stocked it???
Cappy

imported_n/a

Totally Frustrated!!!
Called all the AutoZones locally None handle PJ1 products.
Cycle Hutt Claims that color is "no longer available" In there E-mail to me after I ordered on-line.
spent most of the afternoon surfing internet started with PJ1 home site got a list of dealers from there called the closest ones  none had the  paint products in stock and where reluctant to order just two cans for me.  PJ1 still lists 17-KT8 on there web site but won't sell to you unless your a dealer. My local KTM shop is a joke! They sell PJ1 chain lube but no paints, KTM is an after thought with them they carry two othere lines of Jap bikes that come first.  

A few of the other sites I found, a site Xtreme Revelution they have 8 cans of 95-93 KTM grey Metalic (PJ1# 17-KT5) But don't list 98-03 KTM siver met.(PJ1#17-KT8) they claim Backordered and can't get. I have spent a good part of the day trying to find this paint!

Can Anyone point me in the right direction? Please!
Thanks
Cappy

Lew Mayer

Try Chapparal. I got mine there recently.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Randy Kirkbride

I always ordered mine direct from PJ1. I order 6 cans at a time.

sixdazed

Cappy,I'm ordering a case from the shop i work at.If it's available i may order some more (if the discontinued rumor is true)just to have it,or for others.A lot of aeresol lubricants and paints packaged in California are being discontinued or re-sourced due to new California enviromental laws,i believe.Almost all of Honda's polishes and lubes are being sourced from different vendors. If i can get more PJ1 i'll let you know.
                   Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

454MRW

Cappy,
I just happen to have 2 cans of the PJ-1 that my local Honda/KTM dealer ordered for me late last year. I did a test of several spray paints on a 1974.5 175, a 1976 MC5, and 1976 Cross Country, a 1977 MC5 and a 1977 GS6 frame for comparison to the color of the frame underneath the gas tank where it wasn't exposed to the sun and found the PJ-1 paint to be too bright a silver for my taste. I wound up using Duplicolor DE1650 ceramic engine paint followed with Duplicolor DE1636 ceramic clear. In my opinion, it matched the (ever so slightly different) original frame colors of those years best in comparison and now I will be not be using the PJ-1 paint. One can has never even had the cap off and the other only test sprayed on those 5 frames. They are yours for the shipping cost, if you want them. Mike 618-793-2200 [email protected]

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

woodchuck

Cappy, I recently bought enough paint, white primer (recommended by PJ-1) and clear to do two frames. I later decide to go the powdercoat route so I didn't use the paint.

If you can't find any, I'd sell the whole lot at the price I paid if you'll take everything. I don't want to end up with some left overs.
Let me know if that will help; if so, I'll take inventory and let you know exactly what's there.

Thanks,

Chuck Purinton

pketchum

The Duplicolor DE1650 is called "Cast Coat Aluminum".  I use this regularly on my Hodaka's and have for years.  I too have often thought this would be ideal for Penton's, although I'm into 79-80 KTM's at the moment.  Thanks for the info Mike as it is very valuable to me.

Phil
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

imported_n/a

Thanks to all!
I went with the Duplicolor DE1650, local Auto Zone had it.
Frame is painted, Im happy with how it turned out.
Cappy

tomale

Cappy, now that the frame is painted.... I recently was turned on to a clear that really works great.... It is made by Spray Max. It is a two part clear in a single can. to activate the can you push this button on the bottom and it breaks the membrane... you shake the can to mix and you are ready to go.once you have mixed it the can is only good for 24 hours.. the stuff is expensive but it really works good and it holds up alot better than the stuff you get that is not two part... and the cool thing is there is not mess to clean up.... just throw away the can when you are done...
To get this stuff you will  have to go to a auto paint store...

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
75' GS400 (finished project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

t20sl

Thom:  Where did you find that clear?  Thanks, Ted

tomale

I told you, it was a Auto Paint store... I believe the name of the place was Westco.... not a auto parts store, but rather a store that supplies Paints and body parts for cars and such.... It is a pretty new product. I was told it has only be available for 6 months or so...

76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Ernie Phillips

Thom,  Can the Spray Max be used over enamel.  Any pre treatment needed?  Precautions?

source: https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/p-14525-18039.aspx
(I just searched, no experience with this vendor)

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN