2 holed Six Day head

Started by Steve Minor, August 20, 2007, 07:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

I have a situation I'm not sure how to handle. The head on my 72 Six Day project has the usual spark plug hole, but also has a tapped hole for a compression release. I'm not interested in keeping the compression release so I opted to install a second spark plug. Now here lies the problem. The fins are too close together to get a plug wrench deep enough to snug up the second spark plug. On the hole where the plug normally goes, the fins are milled away so that a socket will fit all the way down. The compression release mechanism is tall enough so a socket will fit and snug it up. I guess I can always leave the compression release mechanism installed on the head but I really didn't want to...

Any suggestions?

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

t20sl

I believe the drain bolt from a 2005 Honda VTX1800N on the rear end oil is 14mm x 1.25mm pitch.  Has a 17mm head which may give you the room you need.  Not quite as long as a 3/4" plug but would do the job possibly. Or you could cut the ring holding the porcelin part of the plug together and weld a smaller bolt in the center of the old plug. Ted

Merlin

.........if you wish to install a plug in the second hole use a "sheet metal" type plug wrench, by that I mean like a tool kit type........if you wish to plug the hole you may use a couple of ready made plus, one is a plug from old air cooled Kawasaki enduros, they are short reach, another but it will require shortening is a 4 stroke Suzuki street bike crankcase plug, Montesa also shipped VR's with a second hole and a "plug" but again shortening is required.....
Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, \\"it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught\\".