32mm fork brace?

Started by brian kirby, September 13, 2007, 09:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian kirby

I'm putting together a '72 Six Day for this years Reunion Ride. My question is from a racing point, not restoration or originality, should I use the original tubular fork brace? I have ridden other Pentons with 32mm forks  without the brace and I felt no noticeable flex, but if it is a functional item I will use it.

Brian

'72 Six Day (on loan from Ernie P.)
Brian

Paul Danik

Brian,

If I was racing a dry MX I would possibly use the fork brace, but not on trails that may have any mud. I would leave it off.  The mud builds up at the brace and will cause the front wheel to not rotate properly.

You didn't ask for this advice, but I usually trade off the 32mm forks for a set of 35mm from a later machine. The 35mm forks are much better.

Hope this helps.
Paul

brian kirby

Thanks Paul. I will leave the brace off since this bike will rarely see MX use, it will primarily be a cross country bike. I have several pairs of good Betor forks, but no 35mm triple clamps that will fit the Penton frame. I'll ride the bike with the 32mm forks at Barber and the RR and work on finding clamps for the Betors over the winter.

Brian

'72 Six Day (on loan from Ernie P.)
Brian