KTM 400 clutch

Started by KTMandM, October 12, 2007, 04:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KTMandM

I just was lucky to have purchased a 75 KTM 400. I have not had the pleasure of owning one in the past. Looking forward to the ride.

To my problem. The clutch cable was disconnected. Not a big problem. The trouble is that the arm moves freely. No action from the clutch arm at all. Can I be missing a shaft or something? Or can something be stuck inside? And last, anyone have a manual that can copy and send me a parts blow up?  

Thanks

KTMandM

Steve Minor

Sounds like you might be missing the push rods and ball assembly. It slides in the motor behind the clutch actuator.....My 77 400 has two steel push rods separated by a steel ball. I'm sure yours is similar.

First thing you need to do is call Al Buehner and get a manual....His contact info is on the Home Page under "Suppliers"

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

Dennis Jones

Start out simple and put a clutch cable on it. Without a cable the clutch arm will move freely in a large arc except for the last few milimeters and those would be very hard to move by hand.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Rain Man

Dennis is right, you could never press the pressure plate in by pushing on the actuator, and thats a good thing.
 A good indictaion your clutch is "holding" is if you can kick the engine over. If the clutch is  not engaged, it wont turn the piston over.
 Also alot of times when the bike sits for a long time, the friction plates kinda get stuck together.  Although the bike will start, when you go to shift it into gear... yeeha off ya go.  it may come out of it if the clutch isent worn to bad.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

KTMandM

Thanks for the info everyone. By the looks of things I may need the rods and ball that Steve is talking about. When I push the arm in place to install cable it is just a few MM away from the case. One would think that the arm would have to move more than few mm to work?

If I do need parts who is the go to guy? Al Buehner?

Hope to get a better look this weekend.

Thanks

Rick

Steve Minor

Yeah, Al is your go to guy.......(actually one of many). He's super nice and quite knowledgeable. However, you won't find him in his office on weekends and he doesn't do email...

My advice is get that manual ASAP.

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

Mike OReilly

If you haven't already done so, check out "searching the message board", and then do it. There is a lot of info on clutches in past posts. You have only scratched the surface: i.e: # of plates, thickness, # of rods, specific length, etc.
Good luck.