77 Pentons ?

Started by rich allison, September 26, 2007, 08:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomale

I never did figure out why my 76 250 did not like to turn, some said it was because of the offset forks, I never did find the right set of rear shock springs to balance out the bike.. I am sure that made a differance.. Maybe the real problem is that the front springs were really too stiff... It seems that the modern bikes use soft springs.. this would make the bike corner better.. When I started riding the 78 I liked it alot better, it seemed to corner better and it flew better as well... still I noticed that compared to some bikes you really had to pick your lines carfully... Pentons and KTM's of that era, needed to be ridden agressivily. they are not for the timid. The harder you pushed them the better they handled. just my take...

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tofriedel

Paul,

The comments about vin numbers for 77 GS's peaked my interest, so I looked at mine and the frame is 701 00084.  My guess is that it is one of the earliest models.

Tony
Tony

Paul Danik

Tony,

That is how I feel about all of the Penton machines, the serial numbers on these machines hold a wealth of information. Jack having two bikes in his garage with consecutive numbers is unbelievable.  Steel Tanker # 15 and Al Born's # 28 have consecutive Sachs engine numbers.  

Wouldn't it be neat to have someone find serial # 1 in a model other than the Steel Tankers!

Thanks
Paul

Mike Lenz

Id take the frame number 13 1976 mc-5 I got in late 75...I wonder if it is still out there somewhere?  Anyone??