Another Bike Restored

Started by Chakka, October 31, 2007, 10:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chakka

I just finished restoring a 74' 250. I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out. Thanks to all of you who gave advice and supplied parts, Tom, Victor, Al and many more. This is a great group!

Chris

Before and after:

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/chakka141/1974%20Harescrambler/

Knute

Good job Chris!  Thanks for sharing.

Kent
TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings

Paul Danik

Chris,

Looks great, how about a few tips for someone who is thinking about doing a restoration. Any major problems?

Thanks
Paul

wade195

Chris

Nice job.

Thank you for taking time to show it off. Good luck

Doug Wade

Chakka

Thanks for the kind words guys. Paul, I would be happy to give some tips but I'm sure most of the members are more skilled at renovation than I am. This bike was pretty easy to clean up. The motor had been rebuilt before I bought the bike so I put in a fresh set of rings and a new MZ-B ignition. Everything else was elbow grease, careful cleanup & parts scouting.

When I start a project like putting together a Penton I usually begin with a punch list of the items that are missing and parts that need replacing, that way I can be looking well in advance of needing the item. It may seem crazy but each of the bikes I intend to build has an Excel spreadsheet of items that will be needed. Some of these pieces are getting scarce so patience is a virtue. To avoid being overwhelmed with a project I approach each bike as a set of small assembly's, wheels, engine, frame assy, suspension, wiring & controls. I tackle these one step at a time, though I often work on more than one bike at a time.

I also make it a point to learn something with each restoration. My first Penton I sent out lots of things to be rebuilt by experts because I was a bit intimidated. But this group is a wealth of knowledge and thanks to the members here I have learned how to tackle pretty much anything by reading the forum. On this 250 I rebuilt the shocks myself, I had never done that so it took some trial and error but in the end I learned something new I can use on the next bike.

My big weakness with these bikes is getting the final tuning correct. I am in awe of those who can diagnose a rough running engine or adjust jetting and float levels on carbs. The ability eludes me. I've made it my next goal to improve on those skills.

The last word of advice I can give is to enjoy what your doing and have fun. I find when I force myself to go to the shop and work when my heart isn't in it I often end up doing more harm than good. So keep it fun, learn something and in the end your hands and mind help give second life to a beautiful piece of machinery. Next project on my list is a 77' 250GS

Chris

Ron

Looks awesome Chris, very nice job!
The before and after shoots are way cool.

RonW

DKWRACER

Chris, glad to be a small part of your restorations. The results you have pictured are a reflection of your dedication no matter how small the details may be...I sure hope the 77GS bits n pieces that I sent you with keep you busy this year. Many thanks! Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

Rain Man

Beutiful job Chakka, It should last you for a long long  time.  And its a strong and fast enough bike to enjoy riding all day long also  [8D]
   Paul, I have some advice on  resto projects I learned the hard way :( never buy MT16 tires for the front wheels, just the rear.
 They wash out to fast in the sand :( and off cambers, and mud and...

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Chakka

Tom,
Your going to be a big part of my next project. I put the engine on the stand tonight and pulled out the frame, forks and other goodies you sent to me last year. I will be in touch soon for some GS side panels and a Falk style rear fender for that bike.

Chris