Speedo Drive Install

Started by imported_n/a, November 03, 2007, 10:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imported_n/a

POG, Am working to install a speedo drive on my front wheel of my 74 Six Day. Need some insight please. Does the speedo drive take the place of both the 10mm bushing and the hex nut on that side? Seems like it should since there aren't really enough threads left on the spacer tube once the VDO drive is in place. That said, once I begin to tighten everything down, the wheel doesn't want to spin. Pressure from the fork leg on the speedo drive keeps it all from spinning. Seems like I need a very thin bushing/spacer or even a washer to move the pressure onto the bearings, but where to place it!? Any thoughts on all this should go together?? Thanks as always,

Chris Heeter
74 Six Day

454MRW

If I remember correcly, the bushing is removed, but the nut is required to tighten the internal sleeve (spacer) on the speedo drive into place. That effectively moves the fork leg away from the speedo drive. I asked about the torque spec on the nut some time ago when rebuilding my 74 HS front wheel. I may be that the incorrect thickness spacer is installed on the oposite side of your wheel between the inner wheel and the brake hub. I had this happen to me and the brake hub didn't fit flush into the outer edge of the wheel hub correctly like it should. The spacer on the speedo side is much thicker than the one on the brake side. If installed backward, the axle sleeve probably needs pushed over toward the speedo side, which should give you enough threads. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Big Mac

Mike's right. There should be a slim spacer in place where Drive goes, threaded nut cinches it all down and wheel should spin free. I've had a couple of occasions where inside face of the Drive wasn't pushing in tight enough. I found the perfect diameter source material for cutting junior size spacers as may be useful are the little handlebar ends I cut off to make narrower woods bars. Almost exact inside/outside diameter. I don't throw away anything.;)

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

imported_n/a

Thanks guys for the input - good stuff! I'll keep you posted on the final solution. We have a scrap parts store here in town called Skycraft that has every imaginable shape/size bushing or spacer. You could practically build a cycle, car, or airplane from scratch with the odds/ends they have there! Anybody ever heard of the place?!! It's amazing[:p]

Chris H.